Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My rear brake pads on the gl1500 are squealing when I apply them. They are due replacing so I will do it next week. I know some of you use copper grease to lube the pins and back of the pads, will this prevent squeal as well? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
imported post

Copper grease is what car mechanics all seem to use, after blowiung out any brake dust. The dust is I think what makes the squealing sounds.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
imported post

I use a marine grease,seems to do the job.As far as the squealin goes.theres a compound that you can pick up at any automotive shop,goes on the back of the pad,stuff I used was a reddish colour(yours is probably green,lol,sorry had to say it)anyway,that should do the trick buddy,good luck,marry xmas and a great safe mew yr.......Bigman(Bob)

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Do not use any type of grease on the back of the pads..Dust is the usual culprit for noise. The only place to use the "brake grease" is on the slider pins and retainers that the calipers rest on. It assists the sliding action of the caliper to prevent dragging and allow for surface wear. When replacing the pads, clean ALL the brake parts, including pins, retainers, holders, boots and the mount boss that the caliper rests on... (Dirt and grime) can accumulate on these little sqare edges and prevent the caliper from seating properly. All of this will give you a professional job when finished and prevent a "come back" later on.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Anti-squeal compound goes on the back of the pad between it and the piston. Just a thin coat. It does cut down on the noise of squealing brake pads.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

I believe you also put it on the ends of the pads were they sit in the calliper. My mechanic says a thin coat on all the metal contact parts.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

That sounds right Ambrose. Just don't get carried away and put blobs of the stuff on.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

You can use that 3M silicone grease as well, but it's more expensive than copper grease.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.