Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 1981 GL1100 Interstate isway too topheavy to keep upright, especially when my somewhat petite150 lb wife is on the back seat. When maneuvering three point turn, tight turns andwhen accelerating from a dead stop or very near a dead stop (rolling stop)the bike is very wobbely andhandles real crappy. And with her weight the bike scrapes ground on a 25 degreelean. I am a Vietnam Vet andhave a broken back andonly have a social security disability checkandmust staywithin a strict budget.

I am disgusted with my bikes ability to take me to the ground primarily when backing up and struggling with the center stand. The falling part is easy:)but, it's the picking it backup that overwhelms me.

I was browsing gold wing photos on google and saw a beautiful wing with what looked like training wheels. This might help with the dropping issue. But,will the side wheels make it unsafe with bottoming out on leaning turns (with the old-Lady on my saddle).

Is there anyonewillingto donate the hardware for the side wheel kits? I think I could tackle the install. I live in the Detroit down river area.

Thanks for your time and consideration:

Joe (warezaholic)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
imported post

Most of those type side wheel kits lift off the ground once you get over 15 mph. Some manually with a touch of a button, others automatically. The two I am aware of advertise being able to lean over as far as you normally do.

This video will show you how one model is made. I think a judicious amount of skullduggery might enable you to build your own. But, acquiring the "factory kit" would be easier to install.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOhP1HTZQwY

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
imported post

Joe,

You have a few options to solve your problem.

First, there is the option typically called “landing gear” or “outriggers” or something similar. These are a set of small wheels that are normally retracted and don’t touch the ground while you are riding. They only come down when you stop or are moving under a certain set speed, say 2 or 3 MPH, to help you keep the bike up. Some of these are manual (you hit a switch to lower them) and some are automatic (a computer sensed speed and puts them down and up) but those are expensive.

Second, are the “Insta-Trike” and other such type kits that add an extra set of two wheels to the back outside of the back wheel on the bike. So you basically have a quad-wheeled vehicle. The bikes back wheel is the only drive wheel. These can be removed without too much effort to return the bike to a two-wheeled configuration. These extra two wheels stay down in contact with the ground all the time. So, no leaning into corners anymore.

Third is a true trike kit that adds a permanent two wheels to the back of the bike and removes the bike’s back wheel completely. You no longer have a two-wheeled vehicle, but a permanent three-wheeled vehicle. No leaning into turns, etc. This is NOT a good option for a large bike without a powered reverse gear. You rarely see triked GL1100s and GL1200s for that reason.

None of these things are particularly cheap. I would think that the cheapest route would be a manual version of the landing gear type.

I don’t know what to tell you about sourcing any of this stuff inexpensively. Maybe Craigslist or something. I’ll certainly keep a lookout for something for you and give you a holler if I see anything.

And, one more thing. Thank you for your service.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Owning an couple of 1100's myself and having had two back surgeries, I can identify with your problem of picking up a Wing, much less any thing else.

The one that I wanted that is no longer in production was the one John showed you in that video....The Landing Gear, but Hurricane Katrina took them out and they never reopened their plant...One more option open to you might be to "Trike" it...Several of our members have "Triked" out from one 1200 to several 1500's...They used Junk yard auto rear ends and while it does take money, and some welding skills, etc here is some links to a few of these build outs... Some even made their own fiberglass bodies and they turned out fantastic....Besides its a great Winter project too..

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/123252.html

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/98387.html

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/79845.html

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/91026.html

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/87035.html

OK that should give you some ideas of what you might be looking at..The only draw back to "Triking"out an 1100 or a 1200, is that they have no reverse....So Momma becomes your reverse!!!....There is a lot of reading in these links, but they are all members who have spent very little money to get some great looking trikes made...One is over a "bought kit", but you will get the idea of what your looking at...

Most people that buy and install these trike kits usually hang onto them, unless they just give up totally on riding...One more option is to check with your local Breaker, if they don't have one they might can get on the "wire" and find you one that might be damaged but as you said you can do your own work...These would be a lot cheaper and easier to find....

Good luck on your search....

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
imported post

I had the so called training wheels on mine and loved it,You can see them in my gallery.They were exspensive but the good thing with them is you could return to two wheels in about ten minutes.They are the tow- pac brand....

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

Ever think about a sidecar? I've got back/leg issues too. You think a 1200 is heavy - try a 1500! Sidecars have their own handling issues, but I'll be hanging a sidecar off mine for much the same reasons that you're talking about. Big hint - 1500s have a reverse... pretty darned handy in some situations. If you plug in "sidecar" here you'll find plenty of very useful info. Recommend also checking out the USCA: http://www.sidecar.com/

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I am dealing with a fully loaded 1981 GL1100 and probably won't find any suitable anytime soon, I WISH I had a reverse gear as well as a 6th gear, I am likely going to follow a suggestion given here and shave a couple inches off the saddle top; but thank you for the input.

This winter I am planing to tackle some mechanical issues. wish me luck!

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

Before I get jumped all over (you konw who you are), this is MY opinion based on ME riding a friends bike that I installed a landing gear on (not me calling someone else).

Unless you can put your feet down before you take off from a stop, DON'T get them. Most roads have a 'crown' to help shed water, and the landing gear will put the bike at an angle, and as soon as you lift them you ARE TURNING hard right. I almost wrecked the bike, brought it back over to him and offered to remove them. He road the bike and dumped it.

Get a sidecar, full trike kit, or other device that will allow the bike to lean.

Bill

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I can reach the ground alright but, I have a hard time of it when pushing it backwards.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

Sorry to ask, but are the tires properly inflated, head bearings and swing arm bearings good? If bad these items will make the bike handle poorly.

Also, I have never seen a landing gear made for a 1100 (not to say they don't exist), and a trike 'kit' might be rare too. A sidecar might be the cheap way to go to get extra stablity, and remember that theyNEED to be installed with care to get them correct, but you will still have the 'back-up' issue to deal with.

Bill

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I am very much resigned to enjoy all the perks as well as the drawbacks of my old ride. I hope that I haven't come across as a complainer, I really am adapting well to the weight and dead speed issues and after some TLC it will serve me proudly... after the season is officialy over, I'll be spending the winter doing some shop work to it; so "I'll Be Back"!

Joe (warezaholic)

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

hey joe
i had a full dressed 1100. stripped it naked. nice bike did not find it realy top heavy but defanatly heaver than my 1000. I take it you have not put alot of miles on this bike. they handle real well and have a nice low center of gravity. It takes a while but you get comfortable on it real soon. I think I only dumped the 1100 once!
the 1000 has gone to sleep on me lots but thats the goldwing i learned on. my 1500 hasnot gone down yet but i/m shure it will
wilf

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

warezaholic wrote:
My 1981 GL1100 Interstate isway too topheavy to keep upright, especially when my somewhat petite150 lb wife is on the back seat. When maneuvering three point turn, tight turns andwhen accelerating from a dead stop or very near a dead stop (rolling stop)the bike is very wobbely andhandles real crappy. And with her weight the bike scrapes ground on a 25 degreelean.

1. Try making more decisive starts and stops. Avoid long drawn out transitionperiods from stationary to motion and back. (No Duck Walks). Leave the sidestand down while making the 3-point turn. If it starts to fall, fall toward the sidestand. Remembering to put the sidestand up should not be a problem for any competent rider.

2. I suspect that your suspension does not have enough air for the loador that the oil needs replaced. Springs out of spec is possible.

You may or may not have already given these suggestionssome thought. When you say crappy, what are you comparing it to?

You are not comming across as a complainer. You may very well have something wrong with your bike and/or a technique that needs to be tweeked to meet your specific physical needs.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

Hi Try practice slow rides and stops.

Good clutching and rear braking should help.

Stick with it you will gt there have confidence.

:coollep:Meath Dragon

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

I see a lot of comments about having to have reverse with a trike kit, Not so.

With the trike I use the reverse a lot less than I did with 2 wheels. The trike is very easy to push backwards, just get off and push, it ain't gonna tip over. It is much faster than using the built in reverse. I just use caution to not park on a downhill slant unless I back it in.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
imported post

77Pinto wrote:
Before I get jumped all over (you konw who you are), this is MY opinion based on ME riding a friends bike that I installed a landing gear on (not me calling someone else).

Unless you can put your feet down before you take off from a stop, DON'T get them. Most roads have a 'crown' to help shed water, and the landing gear will put the bike at an angle, and as soon as you lift them you ARE TURNING hard right. I almost wrecked the bike, brought it back over to him and offered to remove them. He road the bike and dumped it.

Bill
Bill,

That's true for mostof the old style landing gear that were solid when down and had no "give" or suspension built in to the mechanism.

Some of the newest ones like the "LegUp Landing Gear", here:

http://www.landingear.com/home.php

actually have suspension built into them that allows the bike to lean a bit from side-to-side when turning corners with the wheels down. Plus, they have a speed sensor in the system so that the wheels don't come down/up as soon as you stop or pull away from a stop, but gradually start coming down/up when you reach a certain speed.

Check out their videos to see. Very well designed, but not cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

WingMan71 wrote:
77Pinto wrote:

Bill
Bill,

That's true for mostof the old style landing gear that were solid when down and had no "give" or suspension built in to the mechanism.

77Pinto wrote: .....Get a sidecar, full trike kit, or other device that will allow the bike to lean....
You left it out of the quote (?).

Have YOU ever used them?

Yes, the wheels did not go up or down very fast, but not that slow either as that would cause other issues. They hada speed sensor that would not allow them to come down if you were going too fast.

Bill

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
imported post

77Pinto wrote:
You left it out of the quote (?).

Have YOU ever used them?

Yes, the wheels did not go up or down very fast, but not that slow either as that would cause other issues. They hada speed sensor that would not allow them to come down if you were going too fast.

Bill
Bill,

Yes, I have ridden on a bike with some old style landing wheels installed on it. They were solid mounted with no give or suspension designed into them once the wheels were down. And yes, like I said in my initial post, those were terrible and had exactly the handling problems that you described. We do NOT disagree on that. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

That said,I have not ridena bike withthe new "Leg Up" landing gear product installed. I would actually like to find a bike with them on to test though, since their design looks like it addresses the handling issues that the hard-mounted type with no suspension give definitely has.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

:thumbsdown:

woops

I replied with a detailed desription and explanation and somehow I lost the page as I hit the send button

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.