Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After a lot of struggles, I finally removed the tankpod, but when pouring the antifreeze into the rad, i could only put about 2 liters in, how do I make sure there is no airlock in the system before running it? I do not have too many tools, but there must be an easy way. I have tried running the starter with no contact, so she would not run, but that did not seem to make a lot of difference. I want to make sure there is fluid in the water pump.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I would just go ahead and crank it up and let it run for about a minute , this won't hurt it , see if you can put some more in and do this till it is full.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

backdoc52 wrote:
After a lot of struggles, I finally removed the tankpod, but when pouring the antifreeze into the rad, i could only put about 2 liters in, how do I make sure there is no airlock in the system before running it? I do not have too many tools, but there must be an easy way. I have tried running the starter with no contact, so she would not run, but that did not seem to make a lot of difference. I want to make sure there is fluid in the water pump.
:waving:The attached info is the correct procedure for filling the cooling system on a GL1100 with coolant and making sure all air is out of the system. The info is from the 1980-1983 Honda GoldWing Service Manual. Notice this is done with the engine running.

Also use a silicate free antifreeze andby not doing soyour water pump seals will eventually be damaged.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

83GoldWinger wrote:
backdoc52 wrote:
:waving:The attached info is the correct procedure for filling the cooling system on a GL1100 with coolant and making sure all air is out of the system. The info is from the 1980-1983 Honda GoldWing Service Manual. Notice this is done with the engine running.

Also use a silicate free antifreeze andby not doing soyour water pump seals will eventually be damaged.

Thanks everyone for the help, I will try that when I am back at the bike, it is freezing out here, so I have to wait till we get half-decent temperatures again. It is no fun working in a deepfreeze.

I already filled up the overflow reservoir, so I'll have to empty it out before trying to run it with an open rad cap.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

Motor running is the way to do it, slowly topping up as the air burps out. You fill the plastic bottle very last.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

Sounds normal to me. While the engine is warming up, the coolant expands and the radiator overflows.You must bleed all the air out. Use the OEM manual from Mother Honda. All other manuals are bogus.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

actually i'm lazy,when i changed belts etc i just drain the anti-freeze out and save,the when i'm done,fill the rad slowly until full,pour the leftover into the reserve tank,start and run
the reserve tank operation does the rest,when the rad needs water the cap opens,purges the air and sucks in antifreeze,when the temps gets high it pushes the antifreeze into the reserve tank,i keep my tank cold at the lower limit normally so can check after refilling that it has worked correctly

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Blackwing82
I have not seen a flow on the wings either and yes they do bubble up. To handle that I suction out as it raises using a turkey baster w/ 1/4" clear tubing and gloves to protect from heat. Have a bucket to squirt it into handy. I do this as the fan cycles off twice, fill radiator and put cap on. Let it cool, I put a fan in front of the bike to hasten the cooling. After cool, I double check the rad level and top off if necessary.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.