Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a '95 Goldwing 1500 Apencade. Bought the bike last spring. It has never leaked a drop. Thought I'd change the antifreeze before it got to cold out. I used Honda antifreeze. Pulled the plug out below and refilled. Took the bike for about a 15 mile run, then parked it in the garage. The garage hasa heater but I don't run it until I need it. The other day I started the heater in the garage when it was pretty cold out, and I noticed a puddle of antifreeze under my bike. I stops when I turn the heater off, and the garage gets cold again. Any ideas? Could I have over filled it?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

You could have easily knocked off one of the return hoses that go back into the Resivior, which I did, but I doubt thats thee problem. Check your hoses, and make sure they are tight, and not worn anywhere. Probably the bottom hose if I had to guess.
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

You might have just disturbed the gasket when you loosened the drain plug. See if you can give a snug on the other bolts, but don't go crazy torque on it. Also clean the area as much as possible and spray Isopropyl Alcohol on the suspect area for a clean dry surface and then you can see where the fluid is coming from.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Lots of reasons why it might leak with temperature change..

rad cap not on tight
reservoir hose loose
reservoir over full
leaking reservoir hose
coolant seals (Orings) moving and leaking with temp change
..maybe others

the coolant seals issue comes up from time to time, and although not common, it iswithin the "normal" catagory if it seals itself when warmer.. these bikes don't always seal well when cold.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I know the 1000-1200's have a "weep hole" do some of you 1500 gurus know if the same exists for the 1500?

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
imported post

Not sure what to tell you, but my 1000 likes to mark it's territory every now and then, it's not comming from the weap hole, but it's leaking from somewhere

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

1500s have a weep hole on the bottom of the external water pump. My guess on the mystery leak would be coolant spilled on top of the engine that's dripping down, especially if the bike is parked on the side stand. Failing that I'd agree it's likely the radiator cap not being seated, it's easy to miss getting it on right.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

schmidtap wrote:
Not sure what to tell you, but my 1000 likes to mark it's territory every now and then, it's not comming from the weap hole, but it's leaking from somewhere
My Dad's 1200 does the same thing, we have looked all over and can't find where it is leaking from..........enough drops to make a spot the size of a .50 cent piece....it is driving him NUTS!!:X:X

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

I just found my 1500 doing the same thing last week. It sat for about a week and it looks like a small hose on the bottom of the pump has one of those crappy "spring type" clamps. The recent cold weather has let a little coolant seep past the clamp, due to the metal contracting more than the rubber I figure.

Just enough drips to make a small round stain under the bike.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

treker8098 wrote:
Stop letting it sit.
Rode it today for meanness!

My driveway's been too wet for 1 1/2 weeks to get the bike out.:p

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

Hey Guys, Its been quite sometime since I visited the site. My girlfriend and I bought another toy-Mazda Miata. Its kinda of a mix between Goldwing with voyager kit/trike/scorpion,etc. except it comes equipped with optional heat, ac, and a convetible top. HaHa! However I do still ride my Wing.

Back to the post about the antifreeze puddles, I had kept my Wing in my girlfriends garage since back in early June after retuning from our Souheaster US tour. Her garage is insulated very well. We had ridden a few times during the summer until purchasing the Miata about a month ago. After buying the car-did I say car?-what was I thinking?????????? Must have fallen off of the bike and hit my head? Oh well, I keep getting off of the subject, sorry. So after getting the Miata I took my Wing back to my house and put it into my garage-concrete floor, (with plastic on concrete to try keeping moisture level down), no insulation.Well last week I went out to check on the baby and what did I see-a small puddle of liquid under the bike. My first thought was a puddle of condensation until I wiped my finger through it and found that it was ANTIFREEZE. Wow! I was surpised and disappointed, hmmm.I couldnt figure out where or why it had leaked. I havent really had an opportunity to do a thorough investigation yet but I believemy bike may have done the same thing as these other bikes. There had been quite a temp change several times since I moved it back home and now that I have read these post I am beginning to think it may be major temp change related.

I havea friend who has a Honda Shadow Aero, and another who had an older Kawasaki Vulcan-both water cooled. They experienced this same situation several times last winter with their bikes, like to have driven one of them crazy trying to find the cause!!!!!!!!! He never could find anything or anywhere on his bike that was leaking. He finally concluded that it had something to do with the major temp changes that occurr during the changing of the seasons. I cant prove that this is the reason but I do believe it is a contributing factor.
Nice to be back on the forum again!
HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR
Ronnie

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

About the only way to find something like that is to while the bike is cold, do a pressure test on the cooling system. When warm and the bike is all expanded it will not leak.

A pressure test will show the leak, done when cool it will show up. If you wish to worry about it. A half cup of coolant over a three month sit will never show up during the normal riding season, and warmer temps.

Just depends on if you want to find it, if so a pressure check will show it up, 12 to 15 psi, and let it set for a bit, it will show up.

Kit

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Finally found the Antifreeze leak! It was the O-Rings on the thermostat case itself. Thought it was just the thermostat seal, but after tearing it down twice, it was definitely the two O-Rings on the back side of the thermostat case. Not fun to get at or replace. The bike now is dry as a bone, and I'm back on road!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.