Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Any ideas what I can do to fix this? I can't find what is even under this cover anywhere online. I will take a picture when I get home and add to this thread but someone may know exactly what I am talking about without it. The leak only started when it got cold so I figure it is a gasket or a seal that is causing the issue.
More details to follow.

Blaine

Attachments

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Can you at least give us an idea of whereabouts on the side or the engine the chrome cover is Blaine?

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
imported post

Check coolant tubes between the carbs? The O rings leak there sometimes.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Here is a close up of the cover and I have outlined the spot where the leak seems to be coming from.

Thanks in advance.

Blaine

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

No coolant anywhere near the box in your picture. Probably running down from the coolant tube on top.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

are you talking about the cover plate that has 4 small bolts holding it to the case ? if so , there is a gasket under that cover. (paper).

should be oil if anything leaking. coolant leak would most likely be from the tube on the right side. they are sealed with "O" ring on each end.

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

wda-83wing wrote:
are you talking about the cover plate that has 4 small bolts holding it to the case ? if so , there is a gasket under that cover. (paper).
But there is no coolant in there, or at least shouldn't be. That covers the final driven gear on the output shaft.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

I agree with Dave0430.. Check tubes on top.. may be running down

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

Or from the overflow tank. Or the tank's overflow tube. They start to get in sad shape at this age.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

u r very close to the head gasket there, and there is anti-freeze there, u might pull valves cover and retorgue head bolts check book for pattern and bolt torgue. leak happens with onset of cold weather makes this suspect to me.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

u r very close to the head gasket there, and there is anti-freeze there, u might pull valves cover and retorgue head bolts check book for pattern and bolt torgue. leak happens with onset of cold weather makes this suspect to me.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

allen down wrote:
X2. Good thing to do no matter what the issue is with the OP's bike.

I had an 1100 that would leave a small puddle of coolant in cold weather. I re-torqued the head and found a few bolts with fairly low torque. A quick twist to the correct amount and it was fine for years; no more drips.

Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.