Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a new 2005 GL1800. When I bought it, the salesman told me to watch the antifreeze level during the first few months. Sure enough, after about 700 miles, it has lost about 12 fl. oz. Is this normal? I filled it back up a week ago and have had no problems. Also, I have not noticed any leaks on the garage floor. Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Well... if the dealer said keep an eye on it, it probably means that these bikes, when new, have some air in the system that eventually works its way out.My guess.

Keep an eye on it, but if it's not leaking or getting into your oil I'm sure it's fine.

However, ifit keeps losing fluid I'd take it back to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

vmiman wrote:
I have a new 2005 GL1800. When I bought it, the salesman told me to watch the antifreeze level during the first few months. Sure enough, after about 700 miles, it has lost about 12 fl. oz. Is this normal? I filled it back up a week ago and have had no problems. Also, I have not noticed any leaks on the garage floor. Any comments would be appreciated.
Do smell anti freeze when you first startup? I know the 04s are noted for leaks from the clamps, mine has been in twice for leaks. Are you sure if was full when it left the dealer? Some dealers are not checking the levels before delivery.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

There is a recall on the 1800's for coolant issues if I remember correctly. Basically the engine disign makes it so a large air pocket remains inside of the enigne block. As you run the engine, the air bubble gets smaller as the turbulance of the coolant flow knocks bits of the air into the radiator. I would say that as long as the level doesn't continue to drop, then you are in good shape. No leaks, and no white vapor from the pipes means that the coolant isn't leaving your bike, it's just moving around a bit.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Hi vmimanand welcome to the board. It's not unusual for th ecoolant level to drop after the first few miles. It happens with other motorcycle as well as Wings. That's why we are supposed to bring them back to the dealer for a check-up around the 600 miles mark.
This happens with cars as well, so it isn't unusual.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

As a matter of interest, a buddy of mine bought a new 06 a couple of weeks back and the coolant dissapeared from sight in the bottle. The dealer topped it up and so far so good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.