Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

my reservoir is empty and the anti freeze is about four inches below the filler cap in the radiator.

is it safe to ride tomorrow until i can get to an auto parts store?

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
imported post

i wouldnt if i could help it. your going to start to see problems when the bike warms up i would think but im no expert. some one with more knowledge will be along shortly.

Ali

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't. You can get by adding water though you'd need to drain and refill with the right mixture later. The real risk is that you don't know where the coolant is going. If you have a head gasket leak the coolant could be going into the crankcase or through the cylinders. Before running the engine much more you really ought to find out where the coolant is going.

If you have a cylinder head leak usually one or more symptoms will show up. White smoke out of one or both pipes is a clue that water is turning into steam in the cylinders. An unusually clean business end on a spark plug, one that looks like it's been steam cleand probably has been by coolant getting into the cylinder. The worst leak is one that allows coolant into the crankcase. This can cause bearing and ring damage and corrosion.

First take a look at your oil, if the level is unusually high, looks fudgy or chocolately brown it's most likely contaminated with coolant and should be drained and flushed right away. Top off your radiator with water, start up the bike and watch the coolant in the radiator neck, not the expansion bottle. If yousee bubbles in the radiator you've got ahead gasket leak.Check the spark plug ends to see if they are all about the same color.

One other possibility is your water pump main seal leaking, that will allow intermixing of the coolant and oil, checkthe oil as above. One last possibility is a leaking hose often the o-rings that seal the ends of the cross over tubes leak with age, usually there will be some sign of coolant on the top of the engine block.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

thanks guys i really appreciate the advice.
will be checking for scary leaks tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.