Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey everyone,

I have been smelling antifreeze from my 93 SEwhile riding. Sometimes more so than others. I havenever seen drips on the garage floor. I would guess there is a residue on the engine and it's noticeable when hot. Level is good, operating temp. is normal. Is there a known area to have seepage to cause these symptoms. I have never looked below any of the tupperware yet, and do not know where to start. At 71K miles I am about due for T-belts. I had to replace the stator on my 1200, but do not care to do that again. :headbanger: Got any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

Kevin.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

Kev, you are going to have to pull the tupperware and take a look around. I had something close to your discription. Took three months to find. Mine was a seep in the right water pipe on top of the eng. Where the water goes to the head. But you need to look everywhere hoses, radiators, overflow resevoir.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Yea..... thats kind of what I am expecting. I suppose it could come from anywhere. As a former service mgr in a Ford dealership there were always knownrepairs to address certain symptoms, and I am "fishing" for a few possibilities.... :eek:)

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

Some of the rad nipples where the hoses go on had tape left on them from the factory.I would start there as apparently it was pretty common.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

I just discovered a very slight leak coming from the upper hose. It only leaked occasionally. Two revolutions of the screw on the clamp and all is good.

Chuck

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've got the same thing, a slight odor of coolant now and then and a slight bit of steam wafting up on a cold morning when the bike's warming up. I don't loose a measurable amount of coolant but there's a seep somewhere. I haven't felt like getting after it but should do that soon. I expect one of the many hoses and tubes has a leaking clamp or possibly a crack. Next time I pull off the lower plastic I'll cure it but for now it doesn't bother me enough, my garage isn't heat yet, I'll wait for warmer weather.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

I had the same thing happen to me after I replaced my stator, after having the engine tore down as it was, I neglected to double check all the bolts that had to be removed. I left the drain plug finger tight and it would drip a small amount of fluid.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

Had a problem with antifreeze leaking last summer. The dealer found the small rubber part between the radiator and overflow catch tank was leaking.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

the elbo at the res tank can have micro cracks like mine did...put brass and new grommit..fixed it...then check for slight little puddles on the heads..this can be the head orings...big job...they will seal hot but have a slight leak at cold...at 70k maybe ready but depends on coolant and environment
can be a buggar to find an intermittent little leak

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks to all, any input provides an awareness and somethingto look at. I have not even seen the engine on this bike yet. I need to do some maint. on it so I may see what I'm looking for and have a simple fix....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.