Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok, I went out tothe wing still contemplating keeping it and notice there is alot of coolant on the block.

Seems to be coming out of the coolant tub where it bolts into the head.

Is this an easy repair? Its just two bolts and a new gasket right? Or will I have to pull both sides and replace all the orings once I unbolt one side?

I will get a photo in a minute.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

That's simple. The crossover tubes are leaking. The elbow in the second picture is the connection to the head. From there to the center of the engine is a tube around 3/4" diameter that has o-rings on the ends. They have failed, and coolant is getting past them. Replace them and all should be fine. And it's a cheap fix, lessthan $10 for all the parts.

Remove the elbow, and once that's off, the tube just slides out. You only have to undo the 2 bolts on each side. Pretty much any rubber on a 20+ year old bike will have to be replaced. My crossover tubes have already been replaced. The accellerator diaphragm was rock hard. The fuel pump leaked because the diaphragm was cracked.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
My crossover tubes have already been replaced. The accellerator diaphragm was rock hard. The fuel pump leaked because the diaphragm was cracked.

Raymond

Thanks!

I will also look at the diaphram.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

There's a guy on ebay that sells the crossover tube repair kit. 4 o-rings and 2 gaskets for less than $10. Search for auctions by goldwing77. He also has a few other things.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Whilst you've got it in bits, check the cross over pipes for corrsion and perforations, for some reason they're made of cheap metal and corrode from the inside out!!

Johno

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Vic, from the pics, it looks to be the left side, which would more than likely rule out the overflow tank.

My bike was getting a small puddle on the right side, and it was the overflow tank tubes. Cut off a little, and add a zip tie to the connection. No more leak.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

It would have to be a decent sized puddle to move over. Mine only dropped about a quarter sized spot, always in the same place of course. And it will eat engine paint if left long enough. Mine did.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Yeah, And I also replaced this while I did the carburetors, I then put a hose clamp on the line, so a leaky overflow is ruled out completely. I can see its coming from the mount where it fits onto the head.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

What kind of coolant is that? I see that it is green. I hope you are not using the type with silicates in it. That is know to be bad for the water pump.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

I am unsure, It came with the bike.

Since I havent had any bites on all the ad's I may be breaking into the motor soon and figure things out. I picked up some solvent to clean all the carbs too since I will have them out anyways again.

The antifreeze is coming from the connection to the head. Easy gasket replacement though compared to the Shifter Problem, I have to break into the engine cases to replace the spring in there I guess. :gunhead:

I am not very good at motor rebuilds so we'll see how this goes as time goes on.

Sure would be nice having a garage to work in though.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I removed the Crossover tube on 2-4 side today .

I covered on end and Blew some pressure thru it and where the Tube is soldered into the Bracket there is a hole. So either I resolder or JB Weldit or find out how much another one will cost.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Solder's cheap, lasts a long time! :waving:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

The tube is just a tube, it fits into the elbow and motor with an o-ring. It has no bracket on it, I am confused....

Raymond

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.