Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Myanitfreese seems to go down some. I can smell it also, there is no white smoke from the exhaust. Where is it going?

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
imported post

Is the smell comming from the exaust or some where else? Could be a bad radiator cap letting some vapor out or a small hose leak that you cant see. No drips on the floor? Pull the plugs and see if any of them look REALLY clean or wet with antifreeze.Dosen't sound like anything too bad, maybe just a little leak. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Just make sure the cap is good,and that you don't have a dripping water pump. A pressure test is in order. Good hunting! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the reply, no there is nothing on the floor. The smell in from the radiator area and smells hot but it's not. Every time I check it there is nothing in the reservoir.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a pinhole leak in the radiator.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

If you cant find the leak, go to an auto parts store & buy some dye to add to your coolant. The good stuff lights up under a black light so you run the bike for awhile than when it's dark out, hit it with the black light & the leak area will glow.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Does the level drop in the radiator or is it just the expansion tank that's leaking? If the expansion tank is leaking or the connecting hose between the expansion tank and radiator is leaking you may see an empty tank and low coolant level in the radiator. If this is the leak problem the radiator will be low but the level will remain constant at that level.

If you are losing coolant from the system and not from the expansion tank it could be a leaking coolant hose, there are many including the small ones that provide heat to the carbs and manifold areas. You probably will have to pull the lower cowl, the plate above that and the two lower fairing pieces to trouble-shoot any possible leaks.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

Also take a look at where the water pipes enter each head. Mine had a seep that would occur after cool down. Antifreeze set on top of engine and evaporated till enough built up to finally drop on floor. These pipes are sealed with O rings.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

first place i would check would be the recovery tank for the radiator.

mine did the same thing.found out the tank had a small crack in the side.guess it came from age or vibrations.besides its plastic too.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

High miler wrote:
Also take a look at where the water pipes enter each head. Mine had a seep that would occur after cool down. Antifreeze set on top of engine and evaporated till enough built up to finally drop on floor. These pipes are sealed with O rings.
When they leak here it will also go through the spark plug drain holes and onto the headers creating a strong antifreeze smell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.