Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently purchased a 1998 1500 with 26,000 miles. I am changing all of the filters and fluids. I have been told to use only Honda antifreeze. The antifreeze currently in the bike is the standard colored yellow/green, like Prestone. Is the Honda antifreeze this color, or has someone changed it at some point to Prestone? I have done a little bit of internet research on antifreezes, and know that special mixtures usually come in colors other than yellow/green. Thanks for the information.

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
imported post

You don't necessarily have to use Honda coolant but you do need to use some type that is low or no silicate formula (not dexcool) to prevent premature failure of the water pump.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Prestone 50/150 Extended Life is silicate free as is Peak Extended Life. Check out antifreeze manufacturers websites to find out whether other brands are silicate free. The color of the anti-freeze is irrelevant, but silicates are put in the anti-freeze to scour corrosion from metal surfaces, the stuff can eat up the seals on a Goldwing water pump.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

The Honda Type 2 is blue in colour. It's silicate & borax free. The last time I changed mine I went to this type. It's premixed so you don't have to mess around.

I know everybody says to not use antifreeze unless its silicate free. But if you check the service manual of my year of bike all it says is mix 50/50 glycol antifireeze & water. In other words just the standard stuff that we've been using in aluminium engines for years. Strange stuff. I don't know what other models service manual state but it is interesting.

I think the biggest problem is people never change it.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
imported post

I haven't changed mine yet, but heard a tip, buy Honda Type 2 anti-freeze at the Honda car dealer. Same stuff as at the Honda bike dealer, but cheaper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.