Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Honda wants BIG bucks for their anti-lock brakes..... Harley adds 1000 bucks for their anti locks..... are they worth having?

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,264 Posts
imported post

Only if you suddenly need them in an unlooked for Panic Stop on loose footing.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

If you ever get into a situation where you may need it, you are already in peril of having a mishap. But, the ABS may just be the ace in the hole that bails you out.

It may also prevent you from dropping your bike while braking on sandy surfaces.

I don't haveit but wish I did. However, so far, I have not come close to needing it so far.

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

ABS is standard on all UK bikes.

Have caused it to operate twice and it has saved me a spill on one of those occasions.

In other words, its absolutely wothless unles you suddenly find yourself in a situation where you need it. :smiler:

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

Two wheels? I don't know of any study that has been conducted on this. I did watch some of that series, Long Way Around. One of the first things to crap out, on both bikes and one of the chase vehicles, was the ABS. True they were on off road conditions. However, in one case the bike (BMW) would not run after they fried the ABS (welding on the frame).

Leaving me to lean toward the it's just a gimmick and feel good measure - not all that necessary.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

granto wrote:
Honda wants BIG bucks for their anti-lock brakes..... Harley adds 1000 bucks for their anti locks..... are they worth having?
yes

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

Upon reflection, I think it was only the ABS that quit working (on Long Way Around). Even so, the brakes would not work, so they had to get another bike. Being in the middle of no where, I was impressed they found one at all. These BMW's were new (off the show room floor). In the end, it's your money - spend it any way you like.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

Know your, and your machines limits...ride within them. That includes the active practice of scan/identify/predict/decide and execute. I like the alert state that riding requires of me and find that loose sand, oil, head up their ass drivers, or the cross traffic idiot squeezing the last bit ofyellow (red) out of a changing light have not caught me by surprise in many years of riding. ABS do NOTHING until you have exceeded the limits. Sure, we all lose focus at times, but by the time you realise you just rolled thru a stop sign, are in conflict with a left turning car in the intersection, or are too hot entering the curve it is too late for abs to change that anyway. Keep your eyes open and your brain in gear. Take a safety course. Practice. Ride to live

·
Premium Member
60,068 Posts
imported post

If I was in an area that got a lot of wet weather, I would have held out for ABS.. Not living in an area like that and nowwith the superior braking of the 1800 , I have no issues with not having ABS.........

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:
If I was in an area that got a lot of wet weather, I would have held out for ABS.. Not living in an area like that and nowwith the superior braking of the 1800 , I have no issues with not having ABS.........
I've hit a lot of wet roads. The GW handles good. I've had no instance where I think ABS would been of any benefit. Of course I do not ride in the snow or ice.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I have locked up the rear wheel on my 1200 on more than one occasion. In the 75,000 miles I owned that bike, I never locked up the rear tire on any tires except for one tire. I locked it up 6 different times on that one tire.It was the second from the last tire Iput on that bike. When I replaced the tire, I never locked up again.

But knowing that one tire can make that kind of difference, I would really like to have ABS brakes.

Now that I have my 1500 I haven't needed ABS, but I wish I hadjust the same. Locking the rear wheel on any motorcycle can be really dangerous.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The main reason I sold my 1500 and bought the 1800 was for the ABS. Having ridden my brother's BMW with ABS I was convinced they are worth every penny. On sand, dirt or gravel I can brake hard and still steer my bike. No slipping or sliding. I'm confident if I come around a blind curve and am suddenly surprised by a deer I can apply the brakes suddenly and hard, get nearly full stopping power and still be able to steer. True a skilled rider can probably outperform ABS if he's ready to react butif a sudden need for maximum braking on uncertain ground should happen... you may not be as prepared as you think. Then there are those like me who have ridden bikes for over 50 years and don't think I'm a hot shot rider. Yep, ABS good.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Only if you suddenly need them in an unlooked for Panic Stop on loose footing.
+1

One less thing to worry about - Locking up brakes

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

ScooterTramp wrote:
Upon reflection, I think it was only the ABS that quit working (on Long Way Around). Even so, the brakes would not work, so they had to get another bike. Being in the middle of no where, I was impressed they found one at all. These BMW's were new (off the show room floor). In the end, it's your money - spend it any way you like.
I doubt very much smoking the ABS module stopped them from riding.I've worked on a lot of ABS systems over the years and if the system fails completely it just goes back to a basic brake system.They have to do it that way as it's a safety issue.If what you said was true and you had a fuse blow in the ABS you're saying you would loose your brakes completely.Can you imagine the law suits?

Everytime the ABS subject comes up there is always someone that says they outdrive an ABS set-up.It's physically impossible to out think and react as fast as a computer which is what is running the system.This is on a system that is in proper working order.Crap tires and even type of brake lining material will affect this.I think that the people that say you don't need them don't fully understand how it really works.I've talked to people that think the bike applies it's own brake pressure when activated,which couldn't be further from the truth.Or when the ABS activates they panic and don't keep pressure applied.It works by releasing pressure to the wheel from totally locking(your job is to keep it applied).Youroptimum traction is right on the verge of locking up.Does anyone really believe that they can do this by feel?By the time you notice that your wheel is locked the ABS could have dumped a small amount of pressure to that wheel 20-30 times(and do it in less than a second)to keep it on the edge.The result is the shortest stopping distance possible on any surface and you are still able to steer while this is happening.

There's hardly anyone on this site that doesn't go by ATGATT,so why wouldn't you want probably the second best safety feature ever to be installed on a bike or car for that matter.IMHO the airbag is #1.Just my 2 cents.....take it for what it's worth,but at least take the time to learn how it really works before condeming it please!

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
The main reason I sold my 1500 and bought the 1800 was for the ABS. Having ridden my brother's BMW with ABS I was convinced they are worth every penny. On sand, dirt or gravel I can brake hard and still steer my bike. No slipping or sliding. I'm confident if I come around a blind curve and am suddenly surprised by a deer I can apply the brakes suddenly and hard, get nearly full stopping power and still be able to steer. True a skilled rider can probably outperform ABS if he's ready to react but if a sudden need for maximum braking on uncertain ground should happen... you may not be as prepared as you think. Then there are those like me who have ridden bikes for over 50 years and don't think I'm a hot shot rider. Yep, ABS good.
That's how I feel about it. :applause:

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
imported post

MichiganWing wrote:
Know your, and your machines limits...ride within them. That includes the active practice of scan/identify/predict/decide and execute. I like the alert state that riding requires of me and find that loose sand, oil, head up their ass drivers, or the cross traffic idiot squeezing the last bit ofyellow (red) out of a changing light have not caught me by surprise in many years of riding. ABS do NOTHING until you have exceeded the limits. Sure, we all lose focus at times, but by the time you realise you just rolled thru a stop sign, are in conflict with a left turning car in the intersection, or are too hot entering the curve it is too late for abs to change that anyway. Keep your eyes open and your brain in gear. Take a safety course. Practice. Ride to live
AMEN!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.