Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

OK. I got me a antique tag. I never have to buy another renewal sticker which is the good part. It looks nice and has Antique Motorcycle below the numbers and I think it looks neat. Alot of people tell me it doesn't look like a 26yo bike and I'm flattered as I've sweated cleaning it up and making it look good. Correcting this and that.

Now the real question(s).

1.Am I out of line to want to personalize/customize it more to my wants?
2.SHould I try to just leave it as plain and stock aside from the 80's chrome do dads?

Even though its 26yo and is a stock engine it has alot of old chrome and do dads. I need to repaint my right saddlebag lid(I repainted it and dont like the way it came out) and the trunk lid. After seeing a satin/matte black enamel I'm having a fit to throw some on it instead of gloss black. Just redo all gloss in matte/satin. Then go into the rims with red where the black is, and polish the high points. I think it would look awsome with all the chrome/badges. Old hot rod style. Not bobber. I have always loved the satin/matte finish, not a primer black(looks crappy). Harley did their Night Train in matte, Honda had 919 in 2003 done that way from the factory.

This is just a idea I'm kicking around in my head. I just love that color.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

i say yes continue to do what ever you want with it,

i thought about getting antique tags for my 1980 but

in PA a bike taged antique may not be used as a daily rider and may not be used after dark, the classic taged bikes can be used after dark but only about 1 day a week and not a daily rider, so i just keep regular tags on it

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Do what you want with it. It won't void the warranty.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,908 Posts
imported post

Out of line? Bikes fit into the same catagory as women, trucks and dogs. Their yours, do what you will to make them fit. :dude::dude::dude:

Your ideas sound really good. Go for it.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks guys. I may just go for it now.I think the red with whitewall tires would look sweet on the bike.

Rudy,LMAO

Broke Winger, that satin looks sic..I like it. PM sent to you.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Thanks and will do. I'm currently checking out Hot Hues and Hot Flatz. Urethane or enamel with a hardner. SOme hot rod red/white pinstriping would look really cool too. I just always liked that combo. Tough,durable just like the old 83. No waxing just spray it off when washing and go.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I put antique tags on my GL1000 to avoid paying a penalty for late title transfer and because I knew I'd store it a couple years before I got to work on it. The antique tag cost a little more but not as much as two years of license in WA. Since the tag doesn't expire there won't be any extra charges when I change it to Oregon.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
imported post

wished i could get an antique plate for my bike but here in Missouri you are only allowed to put so many miles on the odometer before you have to surrender the plates.:(

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

WT* !!! what the flyin fig does mileage have to do with being a classic ??? Governments tick me off more and more every minute..
Tis the same here though...considered getting classic tags as they would have dropped my premiums about 80%...but then there are so many restrictions that I might as well just ride it to the museum and donate it..

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Most of the US states have limitations for antique, classic, collector, etc. type permanent plates. They don't want people to get out of paying for yearly registrations so they make it tough to use one of those plates for everyday driving. That doesn't bother me as much as needing a license plate on my pickup camper. The damn thing doesn't have any wheels, it's just a load in the back of a truck. Alaska ignored them, no title, no license. More states ought to do that.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Currently I'm here in TN but have a place in MS. Due to all the change over crap I kept the tags for that state since Im back and forth so much. MS tags are cheaper anyway. I had a antique tag on my 62'chevy truck, no one ever asked about the mileage or the mileage gestapo showed up at the door to inspect the odometer. I think it adds to the bike to see that Antique Motorcycle on the tag. I got a bunch of riders asking me what year it was at a poker run this weekend. One guys really nice Harley Chopper wouldn't crank at a stop, I asked if he had a "logging chain" I'd tow him with my aging Oldwing.lmao

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.