Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Any 70 + riders out there?

10K views 67 replies 47 participants last post by  AZgl1800 
#1 ·
Just curious to know if there are many 70 year old plus riders out there. :cool:

#66 ·
AZ I can kind of understand the way you feel about a trike. I had a 95 GL1500 that I loved to ride with my wife but on the last ride to DC for Rowling Thunder I laid it over two times, no one or the bike were hurt but I lost some confidence in myself with her on with me. I wound up buying a 08 GW trike and will say neither of like as much as two wheels but we are still riding together. I have bought a 2000 Valkyrie for the times I ride by myself and I love that beast. Oh and I am 72 now.

#6 ·
75 here. Been riding since I was 17. I thought once recently about giving it up but just not ready yet.

#10 ·
73 here, only change I've made is to put a Trigg Trike Kit (Yes, training wheels!!) on my 2000SE bike, and I highly recommend other "baby boomers" do the same, if a real trike is out of your financial range. I have approx. $6000.00 in the whole setup, not counting the bike. It really makes a world of difference in safety, comfort and general well being! (Just be sure to have enough in your budget for a rake kit!)

Reactions: CrystalPistol
#11 ·
79 May 1,been on Goldwing since 1975,my first Wing serial number was 446, first one in Texas ,
Rode my 91 Monday this week,got home and parked in the garage and it gassed my garage,so now it’s on my list to find the leak.

#19 ·
I turned 79 in December. I got my first motorcycle in 1974, a Honda CB550 4 cylinder. It was a smooth running bike and back then a four cylinder bike was not very common. I made a statement to my wife that the CB550 was the biggest motorcycle I would ever need. Boy was that ever wrong! I shortly moved to a CB750, then a GL1000, GL1100, GL1200LTD, and now own two GL1500s. She often reminds me that I said the CB550 was as big as I would ever need.
I don't get to ride as much now as I once did. My wife is in bad health and I must stay near to care for her. I can't be gone overnight but I still get in some day trips occasionally.

#21 ·
71 here but 72 in March. I had a Cushman in 1958 that we rode all over the country roads Pumpkin center and Old river , my uncle was a Farmer and my cousin's and I had Cushman's. The only rule was to stay off Taft Hwy. if we went across we had to get permission and push the bike's across. The school was on the other side and the pool was open in the summer. Always had to keep an eye out for Hwy Patrol and Sheriffs. My Uncle was a trip, if the County put stop sign's in and he didn't like them, he would just did them up and put them on the other corners. That way he didn't have to stop every time he went that way. Much simpler times in the 50's.

#47 ·
I had several Cushmans 57 & 58. Used to deliver newspapers. Rode all over the country till stopped by the state patrol. Was only 14 could not get a license till 16. Those were the days full of fun and no worries. Now ride a 99 GW trike all over the country.

#22 ·
73 and just a few days away from 74... Ride with both a Tow Pac kit when 2up and on 2 wheels when solo... No plans to give it up anytime soon... If my health holds looking forward to a few more decades of riding... It is my passion as well as wrenching... Been riding for over 50 years now and too many miles to keep track of but has to be close to a quarter million... Keep the knees in the breeze!!!

Reactions: CrystalPistol
#26 ·
I'll be 70 in September. Been riding since I was 13 (that was my brother's Sears MoPed). Came up through the ranks of smaller bikes, but nothing compared to my 2013 GL1800!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.