Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looks like I am by far the Old Man here. Going to be 85 in July. Have a 2007 Wing with a 2015 Motor Trike conversion. I would still be riding two wheels but my wife feels safer on 3 wheels. We spend the winter in Florida and ride (mostly to eat) often. Just found a TK-1 trailer to haul the trike on. So when the Virus allows we will head back to Missouri and country living and riding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks like I am by far the Old Man here. Going to be 85 in July. Have a 2007 Wing with a 2015 Motor Trike conversion. I would still be riding two wheels but my wife feels safer on 3 wheels. We spend the winter in Florida and ride (mostly to eat) often. Just found a TK-1 trailer to haul the trike on. So when the Virus allows we will head back to Missouri and country living and riding.

Maybe so, you being the elder here, that is. I ride with an 89 year old retired Marine(combat in both Korea and Vietnam). He has owned over 50 motorcycles in his time. He recently traded in his Harley Switchback and Indian Scout for a new HD Switchback. Bikes are an addiction for him. He also recently bought a like new 2017 Harley Sportster. He had a heart attack several weeks ago but after a few weeks in intensive care he showed up for our weekly ride. That ended a couple weeks ago with the shelter in place crud we now must endure. Praying we can ride together again. I am only 72. Sad to say I do not have a Goldwing but hope to someday. I ride a '09 Harley Ultra and an '06 Triumph Rocket III classic.

·
Premium Member
1992 interstate
33 Posts
I am 74 and have been riding since I was 14. I can’t ride now because I broke the relay gear for the starter on my 92 interstate and have to pull the motor to fix.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
71 years old here riding a '95 Aspencade which i bought new. It now has 212,245 miles. Question is which will last longer, me or the bike? Smart bet would be the Honda.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Just curious to know if there are many 70 year old plus riders out there. :cool:
Thanks for the replies. I am 76 myself and reading some of these replies of inspired me to not give up riding just yet.

As I have gotten older and some minor health issues, I am much more concerned about riding in hot weather and the heat issues. Looking for input on mesh jackets and pants for touring, mostly out west. Brands, pricing, best bang for the buck, etc., etc., etc.

Any input will be much appreciated . . . RIDE ON!!! :cool:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,762 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I am 76 myself and reading some of these replies of inspired me to not give up riding just yet.

As I have gotten older and some minor health issues, I am much more concerned about riding in hot weather and the heat issues. Looking for input on mesh jackets and pants for touring, mostly out west. Brands, pricing, best bang for the buck, etc., etc., etc.

Any input will be much appreciated . . . RIDE ON!!! :cool:
due to an accident in 2008, my body's ability to contend with widely varying Ambient Temperatures has disappeared...

Once the temp climbs over 85*F, I start feeling like I did just before I had a Heatstroke back 20 some years ago.

I have two solutions, start early in the day, and be someplace where you can find A/C by around noon, depending on the Wx Condx.

or, buy Mesh jackets and pants, which I have used from the beginning of ATGATT...
plus, after my accident, I bought a Phase Change body liner. It has silicone inserts that you place in Ice Water for 15-20 minutes.... that drops the inserts down to around 34*F or so.

put the liner/inserts back on, and they will hold your skin temperature at about 59*F for 2 plus hours.
that is about a fuel stop anyway, so I pull into a gas station, immediately pull off the Phase Change liner and dunk it in the Ice Chest...

The Ice Chess can ride on a rack behind the bike, or on a shelf on my Trailer.

That will extend my riding time up to around 95*F or so.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
71 here but 72 in March. I had a Cushman in 1958 that we rode all over the country roads Pumpkin center and Old river , my uncle was a Farmer and my cousin's and I had Cushman's. The only rule was to stay off Taft Hwy. if we went across we had to get permission and push the bike's across. The school was on the other side and the pool was open in the summer. Always had to keep an eye out for Hwy Patrol and Sheriffs. My Uncle was a trip, if the County put stop sign's in and he didn't like them, he would just did them up and put them on the other corners. That way he didn't have to stop every time he went that way. Much simpler times in the 50's.
I had several Cushmans 57 & 58. Used to deliver newspapers. Rode all over the country till stopped by the state patrol. Was only 14 could not get a license till 16. Those were the days full of fun and no worries. Now ride a 99 GW trike all over the country.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'll be 85 in July and about 4 years ago I traded 2 wheels for 3 and me & ma still ride every chance we get. Riding for ice cream has suffered because of this D------ed virus but we still take a ride around the back roads once and a while.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am turning 66 this September and I want to say to all of you more experienced riders, YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION TO US YOUNGSTERS! I ride with a couple from our church that are 78 and are finally looking for a trike. They have ridden all continental 48 states and and 3 providences in Canada. I started riding when I was 10 when my dad put me on his Honda Trail 90. Like the post of the CB550K I had a 76 also and then went to a CB 750k. Still have a 1975 CB750 with 6,800 miles. Hope to riding for a few more decades also.

·
Registered
49 Posts
77 going on 78 soon. First started riding in my 20s when I bought a 66 Norton new and crashed it two years later. I quite riding until 93 when I bought an 88 Wing, then an 95 wing. I kept on getting other bikes. 98 Shadow Aero ,Triumph Bonneville,02 Valkyrie which I kept for 12 years until a minor crash but with injuries. I stopped riding until I just got a 78 Wing to fix up and now a 86 wing I'm riding. Looking for a Shadow now. Got the bug again.Estimate 330000 miles since I started riding.160000 on the Valkyrie.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
79 here,been riding since 1968,had couple bad crashes on dirt bikes,raced for Kawasaki a few years,dr said by 65 I would not be walking,Huum that was a guess I suppose,love my 91 SE,just turned 100,000 miles

Reactions: CB700SC

·
Premium Member
1992 interstate
33 Posts
Just curious to know if there are many 70 year old plus riders out there. :cool:
I will be 75 in Jan,got my first bike at 14 yrs old a lambretta scooter (loved that thing) then slowly started getting bigger bikes and stopped with a 92 goldwing (love that bike).

·
Registered
469 Posts
I had several Cushmans 57 & 58. Used to deliver newspapers. Rode all over the country till stopped by the state patrol. Was only 14 could not get a license till 16. Those were the days full of fun and no worries. Now ride a 99 GW trike all over the country.
I have a friend that has a Cushman scooter for sale right now for $6900. it's a reel nice looking bike but that's a little rich for me.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,762 Posts
I have a friend that has a Cushman scooter for sale right now for $6900. it's a reel nice looking bike but that's a little rich for me.
I used to have a 1958 Cushman scooter and we bought it for about $6,850 dollars cheaper than that.

·
Premium Member
1999 GL 1500 Aspencade SE
60 Posts
I turned 70 30 days ago! Gotta upgrade pic to show GL 1500 I got 5 yrs. Ago.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Happy to still be riding my wings, 76 in November2020. 2up on 2 wheels we go!!

Reactions: AZgl1800
41 - 60 of 68 Posts