Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just finished showing the thread to my wife and she gave a thumbs up.

We live near London Ontario so can cross the boarder either at Windsor or Fort Erie and we think it would be pretty great of a group of us did the trip together.

I know from the thread that there is at least one member Niagara Falls planning to go.

Just a thought so let's discuss it. :waving:

Greg & Bonnie

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
imported post

I would dearly love to go but there are a couple of conflicting events making it look iffy. Even if I squeezed it in it would be so much more enjoyable if the trip there and back could take advantage of the byways and secondaries. Rushing it would be like horsing down a gourmet meal.

My mapwork says that out of Toronto, the fastest / shortest route is through Windsor / Detroit. It's even better for you.

Once you get a bit south of Buffalo the riding just keeps getting better.

There are also some coming from the Buffalo area and one GTA member has hinted at going.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks nobbie. I'll watch for the others. We're hoping to take our time and do some sight seeing both ways so we're really looking forward to the trip.

·
Best looking member
3,106 Posts
imported post

I guess, as the longest standing Canadian member of this forum, I have some what of a moral obligation to attend this shin ding. Have had a few conversations with Goldwings 4 ever about heading down. The Mrs and I are working on getting the holidays to line up for this auspicious event. But won't know for sure until closer to the event.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

My wife Bonnie and I are really looking forward to the september shindig. We were originally planning a trip to western Canada until this came along. No money to do both so the forum get together wins hands down.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

You flippin' Canadians had better get your fingers out and be there or be square!!! :D

The Silverfox, Helen the Viking, Wexman and his wife are coming over the Pond to see you all and you don't want to miss that opportunity now do you!!!!!:cheeky1:

Weare flying over on the 22nd so we will be there waiting for you all to roll in, with our cameras in hand, ready to take snaps of the convoy!!!:clapper::waving::blowingup:

Come on now, what a road trip it will be for you. :byebye::byebye:

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Silverfox: We're planning to arrive on theafternoon of the24th. Have you found rooms yet and if so, where???? (maybe you won't tell lol) :baffled::baffled::arguing::arguing::battle::battle::banana::banana:

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
You flippin' Canadians had better get your fingers out and be there or be square!!! :D

The Silverfox, Helen the Viking, Wexman and his wife are coming over the Pond to see you all and you don't want to miss that opportunity now do you!!!!!:cheeky1:

Weare flying over on the 22nd so we will be there waiting for you all to roll in, with our cameras in hand, ready to take snaps of the convoy!!!:clapper::waving::blowingup:

Come on now, what a road trip it will be for you. :byebye::byebye:
It might be tough but hopefully there wll be enough of us to teach them the proper way of spelling "Colour".;)

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

wrongway wrote:
Silverfox: We're planning to arrive on theafternoon of the24th. Have you found rooms yet and if so, where???? (maybe you won't tell lol) :baffled::baffled::arguing::arguing::battle::battle::banana::banana:
We haven't booked it as yet but Helen perused the list adn this one has come in as favourite so far. If anyone has any bette suggestions we are happy to hear of them. I have let 96 aspencade know of this one and he and his good lady are happy with it as a choice.

http://www.res99.com/hotel/10018793-11344716M.html?ses=3c1a17b2411b09798504539415b9b96aav

I am sure it is a very COLOURful place nobbie!!!:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

The country Inn looks really reallynice and the price is decent as well.

Please let us know when Helen (your boss) makes her decision and we'll book the same place.

I notice that the building is 4 stories high so not sure about security for the bikes but I suppose as long as we can park them together and can see them from our rooms it should be ok.

Maybe we can take turns as "cycle sentry" lol :arguing:.

We really do like the looks of the country Inn and what it has to offer.

Helen did good with her choice so far.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I've just sent an email to the Country Inn asking for a group rate and how much it would be.

Also told them that we're Goldwing owners who will have our bikes with us and asked them about parking arrangements and security.

Once I receive a reply I'll post it here for your review.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
imported post

Hi Wrongways,

I am just going to email the 96Aspencades to see if they too are happy with the hotel and as soon as I get a reply I will let you both know :waving:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Good point about the security wrongway, I will get Helen to email the place to see if secure parking for Wings is available, if not I am sure she won't mind shopping around to see if some others do.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

wrongway wrote:
I've just sent an email to the Country Inn asking for a group rate and how much it would be.

Also told them that we're Goldwing owners who will have our bikes with us and asked them about parking arrangements and security.

Once I receive a reply I'll post it here for your review.
Bloody heck!! you are quick, I have just sent Helen a link with the email address for the hotel, but in the time it took me to send it to her sitting next to me, you have got it sorted!!!! :shock:

Darned efficient you Canadians aren't you!!!? ( mind you, it is late here and we are flagging a bit after out late night last night!!!)

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

oops !!

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

We've stayed all over the US & never had any security problems ever most preferred we parked at the front door where they could keep an eye on our bike. We have also stayed in the Country Inns & enjoyed them. We also have another possible traveler from Burlington. :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I still haven't heard back from the Country Inn re: prices and security.

If I don't hear back today I'll phone them on Wednesday and talk with somebody.

Once I know anything I'll post it on here.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

I've PM'd most on this thread but I'll repeat myself for the newcomers. The wife and I are going to trailer our bikes down to Georgia. This should give some a little piece of mind in case of a breakdown. My personal thoughts would be to travel over 2 days on Tues and Wed. arriving in Calhoun at a hotel on Wed. night. Since we'll also have the van it could give any 2 up riders a rest since we will have some extra seats. I'm only injecting my thoughts here so if anyone has other thoughts please jump in. I realize it's still a ways off and we do have some time to iron out the details. Just a question for those riding: Is 700 KM per day a reasonable distance? I know how my rear would feel after 700 KM.:crying:

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Goldwings 4 ever wrote:
I've PM'd most on this thread but I'll repeat myself for the newcomers. The wife and I are going to trailer our bikes down to Georgia. This should give some a little piece of mind in case of a breakdown. My personal thoughts would be to travel over 2 days on Tues and Wed. arriving in Calhoun at a hotel on Wed. night. Since we'll also have the van it could give any 2 up riders a rest since we will have some extra seats. I'm only injecting my thoughts here so if anyone has other thoughts please jump in. I realize it's still a ways off and we do have some time to iron out the details. Just a question for those riding: Is 700 KM per day a reasonable distance? I know how my rear would feel after 700 KM.:crying:
The longest day we've done was on our Valkyrie with a mustang seat. We did 535km (330 miles) but it was all highway from Levis Quebec to Kingston Ontario.

Not sure but we expect to be able to do longer days on the wing but don't think we'll try 700km per day on this trip (our first on the wing).

Still lots of time to decide but we'll see. :baffled::baffled::baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

The Country Inn in Calhoun has offered us a group rate of $75.00 per night. It looks like a nice place with indoor pool and continental breakfast included.

They've also agreed to rope off an area so that all the bikes can park together.

They've also agreed to arrange for the police to make the Country Inn parking lot part of they're nightly patrols while we're there.

The name of the lady I've been dealing with at the Country Inn is Regina.

3 of us have already booked our rooms and as long as we book a minimum of 10 for the group we get the $75.00 rate.

You book your own room and just tell them that you're with the Goldwing group.

Here's their website: http://www.countryinns.com/hotels/gacalhou/rooms

So there ya go............only 239 days till the games begin :fighting:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.