Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi I am new here and looked at other questions similar to this but I don't want to take my bike all the way apart, are there any tricks anyone has learned on replacing the clock light on the gl1200a '84?

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Take your time, don't force anything plastic that might break, and eventually you will be able to access the rear of the clock after you have it removed.

The bulb has a little blue 'condom' on it that you can carefully remove and reuse on the new white/yellow bulb.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

You maybe can get away with removing the grills and speakers and the pulling the radio out then pull the dash forward, it isnt screwed in unless a previous owner has screwed it down under the windsheild, the trick is getting it back, I have done it several times on different bikes.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thank you guys, I will attempt again when my wind advisory and the wind go away. Darn desert.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,657 Posts
imported post

Any way you look at it, the speakers have to come out, so you may as well take the windshield off too. It's not that much more work. Take just the top screws off the mirrors and pull the garnish off, then you have the windshield right there.

When you put the dash cover back, make sure you get it into the clip at the bottom.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I don't have the bulb yet i will prolly pull it out and then use an led in its place. So the dash just yanks right out?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,657 Posts
imported post

No, the dash does not yank right out. And I very seriously doubt if an LED will work.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I have some leds that i think satan himself created i just hope that it is not to bright. plus they are small and 12v. and i have no other use for them. so it is worth a try.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

Let us know how it goes and any tips you come across as you tackle this problem. I, too, have an '86 GL1200A and am very interested. My clock, radio, AND instrument lights are dim to almost none existent. Looks like I may have to do the same thing sometime in the future.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
No, the dash does not yank right out. And I very seriously doubt if an LED will work.
Dennis, Jim (LEDTech) over @ Vic's used to have kits of LED's for our babies ( I bought one of the main light kits) but he also had a kit for the dash lights.

Also does the clock light not come out with the clock when you use the key to remove it?:?:?:?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,657 Posts
imported post

The lock is for the radio. The clock is bolted down and you have to come in from the back side to get it out. That means removing the dash cover it is mounted on from the fairing.

I've never had the bulb out before so I don't know what it looks like. No one has answered my inquiry about aftermarket replacements, so I'd guess that means there are none.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

Thanks Dennis I didn't know that.:waving:

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

angry... and bike and...

The small lights on the panel of the radio on my 96 Plymouth Grand Voyager are almost identical to the small lights that a user posted a picture of back in '07. I don't multitask well so you'll have to do your own search. The bulbs were exactly what I needed for my 83 dash. (I had an extra Chrysler radio to cannibalize). I don't know about other cagers but the radio lights from any Chrysler product from 96 to 00 are the same. Depending upon the year and model they come in green, blue, orange, and white. I suspect that the same lights were used in the heater controls, the headlight switch, etc.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks for the info in the morning I will got to one of those cager stores and get a bulb if i cant get my led to work

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

Try this: 85gl1200 A light in clock

If it's the correct bulb you could always try an auto wrecker. They may just give it to you.

My connection to this website is v e r y s l o w and some of my posts are not
making it through. :X

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

As soon as I can find an American dime I'll take a picture and post it.

Look in the trash they are pretty much useless now a days. debating if i want to go play in the dark and see if i can yank out the bulb... and the cold

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

Is this what you're looking for?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Ok so getting to the bulb is easy. almost as easy as filling the tank.
1. remove speaker grille.
2. remove speaker.
3. remove stereo with key.
4. pull on big plastic bezel it really just yanks out. don't pull too hard or to fast.
5. grab 8 mm wrench unscrew nut and clock falls out.
6. remove plastic cap insert flat blade screwdriver and 1/8 turn to remove bulb.
7. go to radio shack go through their bulbs and find one that fits. I would tell you witch one but it was windy yesterday and poof goes my bag with the goodies in it.
8. Yeay you now have a bulb.
9. put the stuff back together.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.