Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All,

I'm trying to register my GL1800A, 2008...in france.

I need some specific information off the carte-gris to enable me to do this (type, variant, model).

Does anyone have a FRENCH REGISTERED 2008 (satnav/airbag) model that can help me?

thanks in advance- you'd be doing me a BIG favour and saving me LOTS of money !

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,187 Posts
imported post

Stick around, we have some French members. One is sure to show up in a bit.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

Yes we have some French members. Also, you might PM wexy as he speaks the language and is clued up on import and registration matters.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

If you click on the word France in your profile it shows that there are 67 members in France. Hopefully one can elp you.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

It is a nightmare trying to register a car or a bike in France , if you have an American spec wing then you can forget it as it is not possible to get it registered unless you are prepared to spend a heap of money on changes , if you have a euro spec then you will need. To contact Honda and get a French translated certificate of conformity for Europe , they will wreck your head with forms etc

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hi Wexy - it's my 5th bike registered (plus 2 cars and one camper van), and once you get your head around the system its fairly easy...just need to have (as you said) a european bike with a certificate (mine have always been in English)... if anyone needs any help with the system, i'd be glad to help !

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
imported post

Doesn't France have a 100bhp limit for bikes? Does that mean that you need to get the Wing restricted?

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Luckily for me, the licensing department just take the European certificate, and throw it in the system - but technically, yes it should be. If i ask Honda France for a certificate, they want me to take it to a garage and get it checked and approved. So, i never ask Honda France ;-) It should be 87kw tuned down to 74kw - a 15% loss of power.

It will be changing soon - 2014 i beleive, to bring us into line with Europe. At one stage, it looked like the harminisation was going to go the other way, with all UK bikes having to be restricted...

It's a joke anyway, because 100bhp on a goldwing is far less dangerous than 100bhp on a bandit !

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
imported post

boss_hogg wrote:
Luckily for me, the licensing department just take the European certificate, and throw it in the system - but technically, yes it should be. If i ask Honda France for a certificate, they want me to take it to a garage and get it checked and approved. So, i never ask Honda France ;-) It should be 87kw tuned down to 74kw - a 15% loss of power.

It will be changing soon - 2014 i beleive, to bring us into line with Europe. At one stage, it looked like the harminisation was going to go the other way, with all UK bikes having to be restricted...

It's a joke anyway, because 100bhp on a goldwing is far less dangerous than 100bhp on a bandit !
Indeed. More important would the power:weight ratio.

I heard about the harmonisation plans and I thought it would be a certainty that we would be forced into the French way of things but it looks like Europe has seen sense! Quite unusual!

But, even though you have now got the bike registered does it actually make it legal to ride it unrestricted? Would it be difficult for you if you had an accident, say in an insurance claim?

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

What will he harmonising do, I'm unsure of what it all means to us.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.