·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
You might burn the bags!
Cops!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
You can leave the mufflers off as long as you want. As long as you don't start the engine no harm can come of it.

·
Senior Something
13,270 Posts
With the headers on it should not hurt. As long as any nearby plastic is not in the way.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
Huh , what did ya say ?

I've never tried it . Though I wouldnt be suprised if it ran poorly with them off .

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
I had the opportunity to discuss this with a great race mechanic, and the only danger with no mufflers/baffles, is cold air rushing into the exaust at shutdown, and the exaust valve head could crack if it is hot enough. Just passin that on. jimsjinx

·
Steveorino
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK here's the main problems:

1. Breathing exhaust fumes while riding!
2. Smelling like exhaust when done riding.

Not sure why, but turbulence apparently blows a good bit of exhaust up to rider.
It's not a real strong odor, but strong enough..

I'll be getting my new pipes on quicker than I thought.
I imagine passing out on a bike is not much fun...

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
You're gonna gas yourself.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I've ridden a 1500 for a short ride without muffs on a few different occasions. To me they really seem flat and slow that way.

·
Master Sgt. USAF Retired.
246 Posts
Big problem with early aircraft engines. Warped valves.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
You can run without the mufflers as long as you don't mind FRYING YOUR ENGINE!! The reduction in back pressure will cause the the bike to run lean and hot. ANY change in the intake or exhaust requires a careful analysis of the fuel/air ratio (read the plugs) When you see the Harley guys running down the with loud exhaust and their pipes turning blue you can bet they are headed for burnt vales at the least and likely as not scored cylinders and pistons. I would wait until you can get the mufflers on and then go for a SHORT ride and look at the plugs and go from there.
Steve

·
Honda Guru
2,075 Posts
Let the bags burn, let the neighbors be damned, to heck with the odor…. Jim's race mechanic buddy is spot on… it's the valves and head that'll burn due to cold air on a hot spot that'll cause problems. I highly advise against riding it without mufflers.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
My exhaust fell off my 1200 and had to drive 3 miles with it off and OMG....the noise was horrendous.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.