Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,192 Posts
looks like someone has done a poor job of repairing the stator wires, the ones with the blue wires to the left of the battery.

Why won't I just learn to keep my mouth shut when it comes to 1200 problems!

·
Administrator
22,296 Posts
I will be going over to look at the bike tomorrow. I'll take some jumper cables and a few tools. I don't expect to get it moving, but if it turns over and runs...

The clutch master is pretty well shot, I believe, from looking at the pics.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I will be going over to look at the bike tomorrow. I'll take some jumper cables and a few tools. I don't expect to get it moving, but if it turns over and runs...

The clutch master is pretty well shot, I believe, from looking at the pics.

The sight glass is definitely shot but those are available on Amazon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thank you for all that info guys, not sure how many miles is on it to answer chilidawg's question. I know Dennis is kind enough to offer to help me today so I am sure we will be able to figure out what will be going on hopefully.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The list is endless. And often OEM costs no more than the junk.

In the case of the stator, though, OEM isn't available and the aftermarket stators often last for minutes, once running. Let's hope your stator isn't an issue.
I see that makes sense, and yea that wouldn't be good, I am sure we will find out today hopefully

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
We have some people here who enjoy working on Gold Wings. It is therapy for them. They can turn out some real good bikes. If you are mechanically inclined and like to do your own work,, it might be a good project. You could not afford to pay someone else $70.00 an hour, or more to get it running though. Especially one that has been left out in the elements.
gumbyred

·
Administrator
22,296 Posts
The bike is rough and not all there. The battery took a surface charge pretty quickly but bkindred brought only one key...and of course the ignition has been changed, so he needed both keys.

The thing that concerns me the most is, there was a can of paint where the air cleaner was supposed to be. If someone has been using that as a starting fluid, I fear the carbs will be unusable.

·
Administrator
25,575 Posts
The thing that concerns me the most is, there was a can of paint where the air cleaner was supposed to be. If someone has been using that as a starting fluid, I fear the carbs will be unusable.
Why? If someone did spray paint in the intake it would only be in the carb bores and won't hurt anything. Most carb cleaner sprays are lacquer thinner so should melt it right out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hey bike and Dennis. Really nice of you to lend a hand! Sounds like he has got his work cut out for him.

At least he didn't pay too much for it.

Rayjoe
I am for sure very grateful, and gained a lot more insight than what I had going into this, I am looking forward in seeing how far along I can go with this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tell me more, did the engine turn over ? Without battery you can check by putting it in gear and pushing it a bit to tell if the motor will move. That will let you know the major motor components are okay. As in no rust has set up in cylinder or valve train. Always good to check first,(dont ask)

Did you check the group of wires under the 'tank' cover ? My wing was stored outside and squirrels got some wires. You are correct this site has valuable info for wing owners.

good luck and keep us updated.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts