Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Any idea where my radio harness should be drawing power from?

950 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Bike...and Dennis 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of restoring a 1986 interstate and was wondering if anyone could take a look at my attached photos to tell me where my radio would be getting power from

When I pull the radio head, theres a group of wires with an inline glass fuse that's still intact.

A blue and black wire go to a white box, and the other end of the box is another blue and black wire that goes under my cubby hole, that have terminals on the end but aren't hooked up to anything.

Also in that cubby are a few electrical adaptors that have power going to them

Any idea what I need to do to get power running to the radio to see if itll even work?

Thanks guys

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah it looks like the blue and black wires I have showing with terminals on the end are what it gets power from. Is there somewhere I'm suppose to hook those to? Or something I'm not seeing? The 3rd pic is all off the electrical in there

Tha ks

#4 ·
I can't remember how I determined which plug went to the clock and which to the radio, but that's all you need to do. Then, I'd build a more controlled harness.

If I remember correctly, I cut the OEM plugs off and used some aftermarket hardware to connect the harness to the stock power source under the pocket. You'll never find a plug to match the Honda one.

I don't know why they used an inline fuse. It's redundant.

#5 ·
If you have a wire with an inline fuse, that'll be the power wire. I would just do some trial and error, if you are having trouble finding which is the power wire. Touch the hot wire from the bike to each of the radio wires until you find the correct one. Or, better yet, look online for a schematic of that radio unit. Most of the time a manufacturer will wire all of their products the same. If you can't find the exact model, look for a similar one. Or, you could always break down and buy a new one with a CD and a USB plug in. Though it'll be hard to find an 8 track/Cassette Combo!

Attachments

#6 ·
I don't like the idea of just randomly probing about with a +12v powered up wire.

put it to a connector that has a low resistance, and you will fry something in the radio.
Best to get a schematic and do it right the first time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.