Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Any news on the frame recall in Ireland?

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  wexy 
#1 ·
imported post

I'm fed up phoning Honda in Ballymount about this. First they said that a measuring kit was coming from the US to check if the weld was within the correct specs, but when I showed them the recall info from the web that states that even if the weld is within spec the frame will need welding once the VIV is within the affected range, they were stumped. I was told they would get back to me but so far nothing.

It's te same with the brake cylinder recall, if it ain't leaking they are not replacing it. The recall sheet very clearly states that the unit with the wrong type of sealsmust be replaced whether it is leaking or not, to prevent it from leaking later on.

I'm not very happy about how this is being handled. The owners in the USA have been kept informed all the way but we are being kept in the dark. I just hope that it doesn't take calls to solicitors to sort this out. :X

#2 ·
imported post

Hi Ambrose,

The word from Wexman is that moves are afoot to get something sorted for the 1800 owners here. From what I understand, Irish sold "Euro spec" bikes will be crated and sent to Belgium!!! But those of us on US imports are being ignored so far. With Wexman on the case I feel a result will be forthcoming soon. Expect some news in the next week or so.

Steve18:waving:

#3 ·
imported post

I just got a Frame recall on my 2001 that I sold last year. It said my bike was affected, so there must be another one out there now. When I sold my bikethe frame issue was only on some late 2002-early 2003 models. I sold it on ebay and the guys email from there gets kicked back. I hope he hears about it!

#4 ·
imported post

Just for interest i ride a US Spec import and I spoke to my UK dealer again yesterday and he said all the frame checks that needed to be carried out were done on the last frame recall - he didnt have a clue about either the latest frame recall and the brake PCV issue - despite me telling him about it 4 weeks ago. Kindly took him copies of Honda's recall notices and the his chin hit the floor. Have tried to get hold of Honda UK but they dont want to speak to us end users will only speak to the dealers. Honda UK just dont seem that bothered about it at all - be interesting to see their reaction if the arse end of the bike falls off when i am on it - I know what mine will be! It would be nice just to get some sort of feedback from them

rgds

Phil

Finally managed to speak to someone at Honda UK today - they assured me that if the bike was registered with the DVLA a recall notice would be issued for not only the frame repair but also the PCV rear brake issue. And it will be done regardless of whether the bike is a US import or not it is going to be done which is good news. Thinking i was on a role i asked the question of why cant Honda UK will not allow me to regiseter my bike on their web site - because it is a grey import - we dont sell manuals for them, when i tried to explain that the bikes are made in the same factory its a grey import and we want nothing to do with it was the reply - somehow i dont think i will win this one but the news i really wanted to hear was that Honda UK will be doing the welld job. Expect to get recall notices by the 1st week of April - thats going to go down well with you folks that dont ride all year.

Rgds

Phil

#5 ·
imported post

Hi all ,,the situation at the moment is ....Honda ireland are not ignoring this recall ,,Word is coming very slow from the states

Also a lot of 1800 owners here in Ireland have NOT sent back their warranty cards ,so Honda cannot contact them ,

Letters were to be sent out to all the dealers this week to contact their customers who have 1800s

I have been on to Honda here and in the states ,,,The bikes that are affected will be crated and shipped to Gent in Belgium on a three week turn around,There is a team from HONDA Usa in Belgium doing the repairs ,,

American honda told me if you bought a bike from the states privatly ,,then it is up to you to ship it back and they will do the repair free ,,WOW or I can get the bike repaired here and cover the cost myself ,,as it happens my bike is not on the recall list ,

The GWOCI have a meeting this weekend to try and sort out this problem And hope to get a meeting with honda and try to resolve the issue ,without anybody being without their bikes for such a long time ,,,So stay tuned and I will be back with more news shortly ....GWOCI have been working in the background on this issue....

This is a manufacturers fault and should be dealt with ASAP...cheers Ciaran

#6 ·
imported post

Update on recalls ,,,,I just had a call from HONDA USA nad they have been in Contact with Honda in Dublin and it looks like something is been sorted to get the USA imports fixed in Belgium as well ,,I will have more info in the coming days ..cheers Ciaran

#8 ·
imported post

there is a certain amount of stripping onthe bikes first and which a welder could not do ,if you get your bike welded with someone other than a honda engineer,it will make your warranty void ,,

Trikes and sidecar outfits are excluded from these recalls ,,why ?because they have been modified by non honda engineers and so their warranties are void ,,,

Some customers here in Ireland have already been notified by registered letter and have been told their bikes will be collected from them and sent to Belgium in the coming weeks ,,,I should have more info mid week this week on the USA imports ..Cheers Ciaran

G
#9 ·
imported post

I got the bad news this morning in the post. :whip: When i saw the postman coming across the fields i knew by the way he was walking. :crying: My Honda 50cc has been recalled :crying:after all these years, now this has to happen. :stumped:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.