Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi every one . I am in Edmonton Canada . I have some leaking water piping on my GL1500 and I just found out that The piping has been discontinued. This spring I changed it with regular 5/16 heater hose and it can't handle the heat. It is now leaking again and HONDA has discontinued the piping. The 5/16 heater hose that I used is not rated high enough for the heat the bike puts out. All so it is a bit to big. It is actually a metric hose a bit smaller then the 5/16 . It would be nice if some one new where I could find this high heat metric heater hose. If some one could help please get back to me.
:stumped:

·
It aint rocket science
3,924 Posts
imported post

All heater hose is not created equal. Gates makes red stripe, green stripe and silicone hose which is rated well. If you got some Chinese junk, lesson learned.:(

The key to good performance and longevity is QUALITY PARTS.:)

JD

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

At lest you could of answered the question. The sarcasm I don't need . Can I get the Gates hose in metric.

·
It aint rocket science
3,924 Posts
imported post

Sorry, no sarcasm intended. As others reading these posts may not be technically inclined and/or to what is a flood of sub-standard parts available I like to point this out. As one who has been in the repair business, saving someone from doing a job twice is reward enough. Hope you understand.:)

A quality 5/16 would be a good alternative and satisfy my needs.

JD

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
imported post

I think my 88 has different hoses than yours as far as OEM. I too had a hsrd time finding the right size hoses at an auto parts store. All my straight hoses were about 2-3/4 " or 3-3/4" long. I could get the one curvy hose on the right side(#14) of my engine but the left was discontinued. I ordered 2 of the right and figured out i could cut the one a certain way and use part of it on the left side(#13) and the rest of it from the bottom of right radiator to the tee. The auto parts hose was too large of outside dia. to fit where the 2 radiators are joined.Hits the frame and could barely get the radiators back in so i took it back off and used Honda. I used one of the 3-3/4' Honda hoses there also.
i just looked and your 90 has some different hoses, but you might be able to figure out something that will work from the ones that are available.
Nobody here had metric hoses either and i didn't like the way the 5/16 i could get fit my Wing.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Your right the 5/16 is not quite right but at the time it was all I could find and know I have to do it all over, That ok but I need better quality hoses
.I will just have to keep looking

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

You know what I can't believe. Is that there must be close to million 1500's in north America and UK and Honda quite making parts. That is just stupid. know wonder the economy is the way it is.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
imported post

eddy.....your right...look at the u-joints that were on back-order for more than a year....they just started shipping them out again...right now they are $85.00 ($65.00 at hdl)....i was told today that come october 1 the price is going to bo $18?.00. what a bunch of crap is that? the 1800 owners are not worried too much right now, but there will be a day when they will find parts hard to find.

·
It aint rocket science
3,924 Posts
imported post

By law, the maker has to supply parts for seven years after production.

Choose wisely.:shock:

JD

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

eddy.,auto parts stores usually only stock bulk rolls of standard size and quality hose.
Try a Honda car dealer parts dept. they should stock your hose in metric sizes. Also , ask for the best heat rated hose they have . They will be able to tell you what the heat rating is for your application.
They can even show you pictures and specs. of the special moulded hoses available that you might be able to modify like Indiana suggests.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I already went to a Honda car dealer and the parts man he all so owned a honda motorcycle.Go Figure, no help there. I did find a supplier of the hose I need at a hose distributor. Its the high heat silicon that was mentioned early-er in this post.Just not the same brand. I am already finished installing it. So now I am back on the road. But I am still not happy with HONDA. Thank you guy's for all the help and idea's.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
imported post

Honda actually manufactured the GL1500 hoses which they no longer supply? Couldn't they have been made by a sub-contractor?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.