Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A while back, I ran over a can of white spray paint on I-95. It splattered all over the rear hatch of my Toyota Sequoia. Now I'm trying to get it off and I'm not having any luck. Short of a repaint, is there any way to remove it? I've tried every chemical I could think of and nothing works. I was able to get it off the back window using a razor blade but that won't work on the rest of it.

Just to show you what kind of luck I've had lately, the Sequoia is black and the paint I ran over was white.:(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Sorry, put this in the wrong forum. Mods, please move.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

Lacquer thinner should work. I would go to a body shop and ask what they have to remove it.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
imported post

Have you tried asking a body paint shop for some ideas?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Auto rubbing compound all over it just dont go rubbing one spot to long as you may remove the clearcoat

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
imported post

Someone spray painted the LH side of my wife's Mercury. I used some plain old mineral spirits and an old towel and it all came off. It didn't effect the paint or clear coat either. Washed the effected area with soap and water after the spray paint was gone to remove the mineral spirits residue. Peace and quiet has once again returned to happy valley!

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

Try various solvents on parts that aren't painted. Bits of chrome etc to find out what attacks the white paint. Then see if that solvent attacks the car paint by trying it under the hood. If Varsol doesn't dissolve it try Goo Gone or a graffiti remover. Finish up with a clay bar.

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Two suggestions I haven't tried out of fear are oven cleaner and brake fluid. But I guess as a last resort I'll give them a try.

·
Premium Member
12,778 Posts
imported post

Brake fluid is not much nicer to paint than it is to the ABS on our bikes .

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Denatured Alcohol.

I use it all the time on bikes with custom paint jobs/pinstripes.

Doesn't touch the factory clearcoat.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
imported post

Lacquer thinner, as long as it is original or well dried aftermarket paint. Use a damp {NOT wet} paper towel, start in an inconspicuous spot. Change paper towels often. Don look to remove every last bit of haze, just break up the droplets into a haze.

Rubbing compound or a cleaner/wax should remove the haze and leave a shine.

I have a body shop.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

"Life gives you lemons, make lemonade".

When all else fails,spray the rest of the truck like that splatter.
Who knows, might start a new trend? :?

To bad you didn't pickup that can.
Thenyou'd know it's inerts and what chemical to take it off your vehicle.

GOOD LUCK!

ONLY suggestion I can offer is take a paper towel saturate it with "Goof Off" (or equivalent), lay it on a (hidden) spot of splatter then lay on top of that some clear plastic (Saran Wrap) and let it sit for many "X" minutes. It should soften it up enough to use a credit card to scrape off.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,650 Posts
imported post

ob1quixote wrote:
Lacquer thinner, as long as it is original or well dried aftermarket paint. Use a damp {NOT wet} paper towel, start in an inconspicuous spot. Change paper towels often. Don look to remove every last bit of haze, just break up the droplets into a haze.

Rubbing compound or a cleaner/wax should remove the haze and leave a shine.

I have a body shop.
this is from a body shop pro, try it.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I'm a finisher by trade... so here goes. If the rattle can was paint, it would be either an oil based material,(enamel), or lacquer. If it was mine, I would test a small area with each solvent,(lacquer thinner, and mineral spirits/paint thinner). Paint thinner is not very "hot", so it will only melt oil based products. Lacquer thinner, on the other hand, is a little more aggressive. It will melt both, but you risk softening, or attacking the body paint. Don't use a sopping wet rag of lacquer thinner, but instead, get the rag wet with it, and let it moisten the cloth. THEN rub lightly and see if the rattle can paint starts to come off. Don't try to remove it all in one sweep, but move on. You can come back to it after the solvent has evaporated. The oil based products will melt immediately with lacquer thinner, but the paint thinner is more oil than volitile organic compounds,so it takes a little more rubbing, but it is not so risky. Paint thinner won't affect lacquer very much, if at all. After the mess is mostly cleaned up, give it a good rub out BY HAND, with rubbing compound. Seal it with a couple coats of wax. That sould do it. If I can help, PM me. Do this clean up ASAP, cause the longer you wait, the harder it gets. Hope this helps! What a drag for you. Sorry this happened. jimsjinx

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.