Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My policy was due to be paid this month aawith Progressive and I have the roadside assistance. They offered a new thing called trip interuption with a bunch of features if you break down like motel, food and other stuff.

There wasn't any info online other than the few things in the e-mail. They are mailing everything out to me how it works. The killer was for all the features it offers it was only 5 bucks.

Does anybody have this and have the details. Heck even a hotel room without the other stuff is worth 5 bucks a year!

I was getting leary of the old wing breaking down on long trips. Not for the bike but the costs any breakdown could incur. This definatley takes some heat off as far as travel is concerned

·
Premium Member
67,686 Posts
imported post

I have it.. It had a dollar ceiling, I forget what it is..

Check with your agent...........

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Ahhhh, yeah there is also a mileage limit. You had to be at least a hundred miles from home. Even with a money cap 5 bucks a year isn't bad. If nobody has the info, i'll post it when I get the pamplet. I don't have an agent, I get it online and she wasn't too helpful. I had her on the phone and it sounded like she was looking thru her sock drawer to find the pamplet.

FOODMAN, I hope you got the info packet on your bike so you know what you're eligible for if you need it.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
imported post

I just got an email or was it snail mail from them a week or so back . As I read it , the 5$ was a monthly charge for trip interuption on top of roadside . though I may have misread it myself .

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

It was 5 bucks a year.....I just can't find out what the details are.

Here's what my car insurance guy told me;

The hundred miles from home will eliminate 95% of the people picking the rider up. Most people ride seasonal, work and have no squalms about paying 5 bucks a year cause they dream about taking a long ride theynever take.

So at 5 bucks a year, the 5% of the people that actually get stranded past 100 miles from their home is REAL small.

We got people with well maintained bikes doing longer rides. (nix me) So it is really profitable for them since they insure so many bikes, if a few need to use the insurance policy it comes nowhere near denting the profits.

I guess that are how the insurance companies create these policies, they play the odd like Vegas and win every time.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

Ask them for a copy of the specific endorsement, not the pamphlet, so you can read exactly what you are getting.

I thought the trip interruption endorsement that I purchased through my insurance company covered what you describe below in the event of a mechanical breakdown. Turns out when you read the specific endorsement, you get roadside assistance for mechanical breakdowns in the form of a tow to a shop and only get trip interruption if the bike is disabled due to a collision. There are also daily and all up maximums. In the pamphlet, the conditions surrounding the coverage are not specified.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Thanks Fonz, I'll ask for the 'specific endorsement'.

The woman I talked to was specific in saying it was the pamphlet she was sending.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

OK I called and got the info on this trip interuption;

$500.00 max

you can spend this 500.00 on three things, it's your choice,

$100.00 max per night in lodging

$50.00 a day for alternate transportation

$50.00 a day for food

This coverage is for BREAKDOWN only not collision. Your collision part of your insurance would cover that.

This isn't a bad deal for 5 bucks a year.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It doesn't sound like a bad deal to me either for that price, a lot of my rides are further than 100 miles from home. I suspect they make their money on Harley people.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Ya betcha! No soft, warm and fuzzy type liberal here.:lash:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I'm surprised Progressive would even offer trip related insurance, as they have a ridiculously low limit on how many miles you can ride per day and still be covered. How they would prove you were over the limit I don't have a clue.

I have roadside assistance for my bikes and cars from Paragon Motor Club, and it is a pretty good deal. It includes 150 miles of FREE towing. But no insurance is going to be of any real help if your bike has a serious breakdown 2000 miles away, and you need to get it home. I think your best bet would be to rent a storage place big enough to put the bike in, find another way home, then arrange to have the bike shipped home. You can have a bike shipped coast to coast for less than $500.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Your probably right Jerry about a serious breakdown!
Course most things aren't that serious like a bad alternator, fuel pump, ruined tire, etc.. that are most common to occur.

What I wonder about here though are the details on how things get covered if you do your own repairs!

Say the alternator or brakes or such goes out on Sat. and you have to wait till Tues. when dealer opens to get a part to fix it yourself.
Does it cover 4 nights and food sitting there waiting to buy a caliper rebuild kit or alternator?

How about if we cut a tire on a road hazard? Might have to sit till dealer opens to buy a new tire, then put it on ourselves. Would that downtime be covered.

$5 a year is pretty cheap and just 2 nights in a $50 hotel would be $100 so 20 years at $5 a year would be break even on just 1 bill. LOL
But will they pay it when the time comes it's needed or have an excuse?
Do they pay the Hotel up front, or do you have to pay and get reimbursed?

Really have to read all the fine print on this stuff!

I have towing up to 75 miles to my place of choice.
BULL!! It's double talk! I had to argue for hours to get my bike towed home free about 20-25 miles when the throttle cable broke at 4am!
It's not a limit of 75 miles to where I want to go as they try to make it sound, I found out when needed it! Only covers to the nearest repair facility (which did not exist in 12 miles as they claimed) or I can be towed to my place of choice and they will cover only the miles they claim to the nearest place (12 miles that time). After enough arguing on the phone over it they gave in and covered the full bill home, which was actually the closet place anyway!

My other towing policies like cars was up to 100 miles to my place of choice also, and that meant they would tow me anywhere for the full 100 miles to where I wanted to go!
No bull about the nearest repair facility which might be some lawnmower shop or a guy working on trail bikes in his home garage!

I'd be interested in the coverage for breakdowns and stranded if I knew the details and had them for my insurance.
Like I say, it would take 20 years at $5 a year to make up 1 $100 bill if ever needed and they actually pay it.
If they paid out $400 1 time for you it would take 80 years at $5 to equal out. LOL

Really need to know the details though. If you blow a $15 fork seal and have to wait 5 days for Honda to get one in, is the hotel bill covered while you wait for the part?
Honda probably don't have anything in stock!

·
Premium Member
67,686 Posts
imported post

I can't find my endorsement .. I guess I'll have to give them a call also..

The other catch is you have to bein the same locationfor I think it's two days before it kicks in..

They have their ass covered pretty good.. I don't expect they're going to just hand out some money.. But if you're a long ways from home it could pay off.............

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

This is an add-on rider that offers something to cut you a break if your on a trip, that's all it is

$500.00 max

you can spend this 500.00 on three things, it's your choice,

$100.00 max per night in lodging

$50.00 a day for alternate transportation

$50.00 a day for food

This coverage is for BREAKDOWN only not collision. Your collision part of your insurance would cover that.

....NO GIMMICKS OR FINE PRINT.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.