Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have procured a set of Gl1800 mufflers. I am going to modify them to fit my GL1500 Hannigan trike. I think these will have the converter in them as well. Is there something I do not know about the gl1800 muffler that would negativity affect my GL1500.

I have modified set of Harley Ultra muffler installed now. My wife would like to quiet the ride at cruising speed.

Thanks




 

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
Joined
·
60,205 Posts
imported post

Just make them look purty.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,735 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
i dont think so, just make them fit
+1 it's fairly similar to plumbing. If it fits and doesn't leak it's good. It just depends on the sound you want or if you want more or less exhaust flow. 1800 pipes should work just fine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
imported post

i dont know how the 1800 pipes are made but you brought up a valid reason to look into it further, if they have the converter inside then it could become stopped up and cause too much back pressure not being designed for the 1500, otherwise you could find a set of turn downs for your hd pipes and quieten it down, the turn downs could be from any vehicle or aftermarket and welded to your pipes
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
126 Posts
imported post

why don't you look at the torque master pipes? at least they will add some torque, and horsepower.
 

·
Trike Master
Joined
·
1,248 Posts
imported post

sctrucker wrote:
i dont know how the 1800 pipes are made but you brought up a valid reason to look into it further, if they have the converter inside then it could become stopped up and cause too much back pressure not being designed for the 1500, otherwise you could find a set of turn downs for your hd pipes and quieten it down, the turn downs could be from any vehicle or aftermarket and welded to your pipes
Could you explain what would cause these mufflers to become stopped up?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I finely got a set of 1800 mufflers off ebay. Now it looks like the connection on the 1800 pipes is set a lesser angle than the 1500 pipes? Does anyone know if the inside connection diameter is bigger or smaller than the 1500 pipe connector?
RICK
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I got my Harley ultra pipes off the trike today these are the ones I modified the inlets to match the gl1500 stock pipes. Now when side by side with 1800 the inlets are not at the same angle. The inlets are the same size they both use the gasket. But this is going to be a major retro fit. First the length needs to be shortened at least 2 inches and the inlet angle must be changed to match the Hannagen extension angle. Also the inlet must be moved to the top on the 1800 muffler so the canister can be parallel the the street.
RICK
I will try to post pic as this progresses

ARE THE CANS STAINLESS OR CARBON????
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

This is where i am at as of Sat. this has been a lot bugger project than i expected.





I have I all tacked together and now need to get it welded by a Tig Pro. I do not think I have to skill to weld it correctly.
RICK
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Ok this is where I am as of tonight finshed welding (TIG) them up. Ready to install and hope nothing moved during welding!

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
imported post

tfdeputydawg wrote:
sctrucker wrote:
i dont know how the 1800 pipes are made but you brought up a valid reason to look into it further, if they have the converter inside then it could become stopped up and cause too much back pressure not being designed for the 1500, otherwise you could find a set of turn downs for your hd pipes and quieten it down, the turn downs could be from any vehicle or aftermarket and welded to your pipes
Could you explain what would cause these mufflers to become stopped up?
if the pipes have the converter in them and the 1500 fouls them they will become stopped up and would eventually stop the engine from running,,,,,,, its a catalytic converter, its what they do,,,,, IF it has the cats in it
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Well I did not think about the 1500 fouling up the converter and making too much back pressure. WOW do you thing this could happen? I do think all the 1800 pipes have a cat inside them if someone knows for sure let me know if all years or just some years and how u can tell. I guess I could take the converter out if knew where it was. That would be a big job. Does anyone know what proper back pressure should be on a 1500.
RICK
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
537 Posts
imported post

the cat is not in the mufflers. only cat on cars from the 80's would restrict flow. have no fear
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Where are the cat's on the 1800's?
RICK
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
imported post

jnel57 wrote:
the cat is not in the mufflers. only cat on cars from the 80's would restrict flow. have no fear
thats a good thing, i didnt know where or if the 1800 pipes had cats or not but knew if not the right ones for the cars they could foul and creat problems
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

99% finished with gl1800 muffler modifies to fit on Gl1500 trike. I think you could use this method but use two gl1800 mufflers with the cut out side and modify the ends to fit the gl1500 front end and mount them on a gl1500 standard bike. Those bad welds you can see are only tac welds and I plan to grind them off this winter. The entrance pipes are welded on the inside of the concave end cap.
RICK

 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top