1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Yes that looks like the right tire, the important bit being the "B" for bias-ply (as opposed to radial). The exact reference from Avon, and which is marked on my tire, is 160/80B16 81H, however.
( http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorbike/gl-1500-gold-wing)

Price is about right. I paid 152 euros for the last one I bought in September 2011.

Date of manufacture, if you care to check, will be stamped on the tire in the format of week number and year. (WWYY)

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
...and it's my favourite so nothing negative to say about it. I've also tried Dunlops and Metzeler on the 1500. Dunlop has less traction and Metzeler was noisy.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
That is the tire I am using on my 1500. Very pleased with it. I have been using Avons for several years on both this bike and my previous 1200. That is a pretty good price including shipping.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I cant speak to the price, but ive been using that tire for years on my 1200, and wouldnt consider anything else. Rain, wind,no matter what the weather, ive never ridden anything more stable.
Ron

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply's

Thanks for the feed back. I am gonna get my tire ordered. I had my current tire start to slide out on me taking a corner on the highway the other night at 60 mph, luckily there where no cars next to me and I was able to recover after sliding across 2 lanes and avoiding the wall. I almost crapped in my pants. I am glad to hear this one has great traction in the wet.
Be safe out there!
-Space_Cowboy

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
F.Y.I. Ran Avon Venom 3 times on rear of our '95 SE s/c rig. Last one [removed in spring] was WIDER than other two; rubbed right side of swingarm severely. Had to repaint swingarm area to prevent corrosion of exposed metal. T'was mounted correctly; run at 42 psi, as always. Jim at Venco measured tread width of all his 1500 rear tires for me and Venom was widest on his tire rack. Since I now run Austone on rear, All is Well again. Thought you should know this FWIW. TTFN.....papasmurf

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,916 Posts
What kind of mileage are you guys getting from the Avon?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.