Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Wanting to install a cigarette lighter on my GL1800. I bought the Honda accy plug for the left side pocket and then realized it was " NOT FOR USE AS A CIGARETTE LIGHTER " I went ahead and installed it as I needed a way to keep the phone and IPOD charged, but... I still need a lighter!!

Been searching the web, and found one that has the correct plug, but most of the reviews stated that they were blowing fuses. They even installed 10 to 15 amp fuses and they still blew. I checked my truck, and it has a 20 amp fuse for the lighter.

The bike harness wires appear to be 20 gauge, or maybe 18, I'm going from memory here so I might be wrong.

Can anyone let me know the actual gauge of the harness wires, and will that support a 20 amp fuse?

Finally get to go on a long enough ride to not stop between filling up soon, but 200+ miles is a LONG way if your having a nic fit!!

Thanks for your help! Later...

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

what you really need is one of these windproof lighters the ones you can almost weld with....but if you are determined a 16 g wire will do And turn off all other acc before using.... hell of a load on the bike's system its not designed for

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Gave it up because I couldn't light mine. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

That being said, you really need the right unit with heavy wire and correctly fused.

Don't know if the accessory circuit will handle it. Mother Honda should tell you what the wire size is. You might also hit some of the better part suppliers too.

Longboater,

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Mine works fine off the accessory circuit of my 1100. I did bump the fuse up to a 15 from the 10 in it.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

You could be better off wiring it direct from the battery with 10-12 gauge wire, with an in-line 20 amp fuse(close to the battery) and then ground it close by the mounting point(dash, inside a fairing pocket, etc) to a fairing mounting bracket.

That's the way I have mine done.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

What Dusty said. Come off the battery, inline fuse and pick a spot that suits you and mount it. Run the ground to the nearest accessible place.

You can find cigarette lighter sockets at auto parts stores and places like that, some even have a molded mounting bracket on them that you can get inventive with.

Kit

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

That's sorta what I was thinking also. Thanks for the confirmation!

Later...

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
You could be better off wiring it direct from the battery with 10-12 gauge wire, with an in-line 20 amp fuse(close to the battery) and then ground it close by the mounting point(dash, inside a fairing pocket, etc) to a fairing mounting bracket.

Dusty
Thats how I put them on all 3 of my bikes:action:

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:

Dusty
Thats the way I done mine too.......

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

See if you can find a marine lighter...this is what I had on my Suzuki....It was water proof and had a deeper socket on the lighter end to keep hot sparks from flying back on you...

Claude......

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Yep,,,,,,,, did the same as Dusty,,,,,,,, I have 2 sockets,,,,,, one with the lighter and the other is for the GPS.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Drifting this thread a bit...

I've discovered 'rolling' your own cigarettes is quite the money saver. I don't smoke, but my friend does so she just gets the box of tubes for $2, then a bag of tobacco for ~$6 (going up to $14 on the 1st!). Makes a whole carton, and she says "it tastes better".

Carry on.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Same here. Straight to the battery,lites good too. Simple cig lighter socket from Advance Auto. Go ahead and fire up that cancer stick doing 70mph.:action:

You know we always had a saying on the ambulance "Eat well,exercise,stay healthy and die anyway". I seen'em drop praying to God in church, when its time, your luck runs out and times up.:waving:

Also on the "off topic"
I MYO too. Got a Premier Injector coming off ebay. Using a portable TOP injector now. Watch the can tobacco prices, they'll be taxing the h#ll out of those soon. Their hitting it from all angles.
I think they should tax fast food joints to h#ll and back too, they contribute to high cholesterol and obesity which leads to heart attacks. And while theyre at it, anything else like snack foods with additives and lots of fat. Hit the candy and liquor too. Don't just hit the smokers. Lets be fair about it.:X JR

OK,I'm off my soapbox

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

The Federal tobacco tax is now at $1.01 per pack, prices have already jumped up here even though the increase doesn't go into effect till April 1st. South Carolina is even trying to pass an extra 50 cent tax per pack. Gonna be a lot of folks like me trying to quit. 35 a carton is too much for anything.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
$35 a carton is too much for anything.
Baggy .... how'd you like to be paying $80 a carton? :X :X

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,710 Posts
imported post

Hmmmm, wonder how much money I would have in the bank IF I had been diligent enough to deposit it all in a 401K everytime one of you guys bought a pack of ciggies?

Problem was, you guys spent yours on ciggies, and I spent mine on gee gaws.

Net result, we both don't have a nice fat 401K

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

Have not smoked in 12 years. Here in Illinois they are looking at $50 a carton.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.