Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning folks/Happy New Year

Would appreciate any help/suggestions to improve my stereo sound on 84 GL1200 Interstate

Perhaps if I just told you what I have and maybe people might have suggestions.

I would like the sound loud and clear

The radio/stereo on bike is a PYRAMID 2706D says on front that it is 40w+40w total output, it`s a AM/FM cassette player, I really only use the cd input for my Apple IPOD SHUFFLE, that`s it

The speakers are PIONEER 4 INCH, the sound is not very good, cant see cracks, they look pretty good, cant play it that loud because it`s distorted

Was wondering if I just replaced speakers for another 4 inch set? Was thinking the radio might be ok, just perhaps new speakers?

With the Stator issues on this model I have to be careful dont I ?

Here`s a picture of setup, what about 4 speakers, 2 in back as well, and keep same radio? or just 2 in front? Any suggestions please:)

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Many have gone to the Polk DB501 speakers that fit right in the front.
Or the DB521(some cutting of plastic in the hole required, just a little)
Infinity also makes great speakers in 4" and 5 1/4"
Both are marine grade so weather doesn't effect them.
The sound is much better with either the Polk or Infinity speakers than stock, J&M and most of the cheaper speakers sold to fit the wings.
You can also add an amplifier and an equalizer into the trunk for more output and sound quality and customizing the sound the way you want it. Run new wires from radio on back and rewire the speakers from there, and add rear speakers if wanted.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many have gone to the Polk DB501 speakers that fit right in the front.
Or the DB521(some cutting of plastic in the hole required, just a little)
Infinity also makes great speakers in 4" and 5 1/4"
Both are marine grade so weather doesn't effect them.
The sound is much better with either the Polk or Infinity speakers than stock, J&M and most of the cheaper speakers sold to fit the wings.
You can also add an amplifier and an equalizer into the trunk for more output and sound quality and customizing the sound the way you want it. Run new wires from radio on back and rewire the speakers from there, and add rear speakers if wanted.
Thanks Very Much Newday777, some very good advice, will check it all out.

I have done quite a bit of searching here and google on this, was wondering about a amplifier with the 84 stator issues.

I am going to check out prices on the ones you mentioned

Thanks and Happy New Year :)

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
You could get LED light bulbs to save some draw on the system. Change the tail and brake lights to 45 smd tower bulbs for bright lights and lower power draw along with any side marker bulbs in their correct replacement sizes. You can change the turn signal bulbs too to 45 smd tower bulbs but will need to change the turn flasher and hazard flasher to electronic flashers so you have correct flash rate as the original thermal flashers rely on the load of the incandescent bulbs and will get fast flashing with LED turn bulbs. Do not use load resistors to get the slower flash rate as that defeats what you want to lower draw and the resistors will create heat which can melt plastic parts.
Get them from superbriteleds.com for great service

Or you could get rid of the weak charging system with the poorboy alternator setup. That will double the charge output.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Just from looking at the pictures it looks like you have some low quality or old speakers in there. I have the original honda radio in my 85 and play my MP3 player thru the cassette deck and it sounds very good but I put good speakers in there. I put these in but the Polk are reccomended by a lot of guys. I dont think you need an amp with that stereo and if you do your probably better off replacing the stereo with a better one they have them online very cheap with MP3/USB ports in them. I don't think the stereo will affect your stator at all. One more thing is make sure your speaker wires are hooked to the correct side because if they are backwords that would cause the sound to be distorted.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-A1072R-4-Inch-150-Watt-Speakers/dp/B000LYABHW/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1357485960&sr=1-6&keywords=speakers+4+inch[/ame]

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
I use the Boston 4" speakers on mine, SE45 or S45 or something like that. They're powerful little suckers. I've got a Kenwood KDC-248U deck, which I can hit about 25 on the volume before it starts to distort on most songs, some I can go higher, which isn't bad with hard-rock/heavy-metal. It's loud enough for me, and that's sayin' somethin'.

One thing you may want to consider is finding an old set of speaker pods for the rear bag off an '85 LTD or '86 SEi, because the four speaker set-up does make a difference. Word of caution though, the Bostons are deep speakers and will not fit in those pods without cutting some holes in the top of the bag. They fit in the fairing just fine though.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could get LED light bulbs to save some draw on the system. Change the tail and brake lights to 45 smd tower bulbs for bright lights and lower power draw along with any side marker bulbs in their correct replacement sizes. You can change the turn signal bulbs too to 45 smd tower bulbs but will need to change the turn flasher and hazard flasher to electronic flashers so you have correct flash rate as the original thermal flashers rely on the load of the incandescent bulbs and will get fast flashing with LED turn bulbs. Do not use load resistors to get the slower flash rate as that defeats what you want to lower draw and the resistors will create heat which can melt plastic parts.
Get them from superbriteleds.com for great service

Or you could get rid of the weak charging system with the poorboy alternator setup. That will double the charge output.
THANKS Newday

Taking all in, I appreciate all your suggestions, you are always kind enough to respond, yes have done a lot of research on the poor boy, but thought I would not because the last owner had a new stator put in, wires are soldered properly

Perhaps I will outlast it

Read about a guy that used a variety of cheap speakers that he found at garbage dump etc, I have a lot of that near me in the country, so am going to play around with some cheapies, it`s a long winter here .

Those speakers are pretty expensive, I see there are some specials to be had, but some want incredible laughable amount of money

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just from looking at the pictures it looks like you have some low quality or old speakers in there. I have the original honda radio in my 85 and play my MP3 player thru the cassette deck and it sounds very good but I put good speakers in there. I put these in but the Polk are reccomended by a lot of guys. I dont think you need an amp with that stereo and if you do your probably better off replacing the stereo with a better one they have them online very cheap with MP3/USB ports in them. I don't think the stereo will affect your stator at all. One more thing is make sure your speaker wires are hooked to the correct side because if they are backwords that would cause the sound to be distorted.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-A1...=1357485960&sr=1-6&keywords=speakers +4+inch
Thanks mclock, not a bad price, but they look like basically the same speaker to me, the printing may be faded a bit, but mine are 4 inch pioneers as well, I dont see any marks in them, but they are obviously old?

Did Honda have Pioneer speakers in the original do you know?

But otherwise pretty good price, I will see what he wants for shipping to Canada

Thanks for all the good advice :)

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use the Boston 4" speakers on mine, SE45 or S45 or something like that. They're powerful little suckers. I've got a Kenwood KDC-248U deck, which I can hit about 25 on the volume before it starts to distort on most songs, some I can go higher, which isn't bad with hard-rock/heavy-metal. It's loud enough for me, and that's sayin' somethin'.

One thing you may want to consider is finding an old set of speaker pods for the rear bag off an '85 LTD or '86 SEi, because the four speaker set-up does make a difference. Word of caution though, the Bostons are deep speakers and will not fit in those pods without cutting some holes in the top of the bag. They fit in the fairing just fine though.
Thanks blackknytecnc I will check them out now as well, yes I can cut out plastic for sure :)

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
I don't know for sure, but I don't THINK the factory speakers were pioneer... on the other hand my bike may not have had factory speakers in it to begin with. Here are some pics, described in order. First two are the top and bottom of the speakers I pulled out of mine, the back claims them to be a whopping 8 watts. The next pic is the speakers I have as best as you can see them through my "custom" grills. Next is the speaker pod for the rear followed by the hole I had to cut for those monsters to fit in there.

When I did mine, I was on a tight budget so I had to do it in pieces. I got the fronts first, locally, for about $80 for two. When I got the rears I turned to ebay and got the same set for $45... it pays to shop around.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks blackknytecnc

Very helpful pics, I appreciate very much!!! :)

I am going to take the old one out now and see what it says on back as to watts. While its out I am going to try a couple indoor speakers just for a hoot to see if I can get a idea if there is hope for improvement with the current radio, before I order anything

Will report back

Thanks

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update

Just a update....tried a few speakers from my garage stereo, really all were a bit distorted same as the pioneer.Mind you some tunes play better than others, so I think I will hold off on buying expensive speakers for the old radio. I did take out the existing pioneer speakers, they are 100 watt speakers, no cracks in them at all, not suggesting they could not be warn out, but they look pretty good to the eye, no wrinkles, cracks or anything.

Sorry for pics, cant help my self:):)

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Am prepared to scrap speakers and current radio and start from scratch, but am stumped what to buy. Have done a ton of searching BTW

Any suggestions anybody...For sure money is a option, not that I dont have, but I have to spend sensibly.....300 dollar speakers are for sure out of the question

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Pwhoever
3,360 Posts
There is no reason to spend several hundreds of dollars on speakers. You just have to look for ones that have butyl rubber surround and something like polypropylene cone or similar. Anything other than paper cones. That is usually good enough for outdoor use. Not all speakers that will work are labeled marine speakers.

One thing you might consider is finding a store that sells car audio and has a decent selection of speakers already set up. See if a similar stereo to yours (same wattage) is there and try out the different speakers. I did this the last time I selected speakers and went to the local Fry's Electronics. I am not sure what is available by you but maybe a Best Buy or similar... It really helped me make a decision. Distortion happens when the internal amp is working too hard to drive the speakers. And with the wrong speakers it may start happening before you reach full volume. It may help to try lower powered speakers, just make sure that they can handle the max wattage of 40w that the stereo can put out.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is no reason to spend several hundreds of dollars on speakers. You just have to look for ones that have butyl rubber surround and something like polypropylene cone or similar. Anything other than paper cones. That is usually good enough for outdoor use. Not all speakers that will work are labeled marine speakers.

One thing you might consider is finding a store that sells car audio and has a decent selection of speakers already set up. See if a similar stereo to yours (same wattage) is there and try out the different speakers. I did this the last time I selected speakers and went to the local Fry's Electronics. I am not sure what is available by you but maybe a Best Buy or similar... It really helped me make a decision. Distortion happens when the internal amp is working too hard to drive the speakers. And with the wrong speakers it may start happening before you reach full volume. It may help to try lower powered speakers, just make sure that they can handle the max wattage of 40w that the stereo can put out.
Thanks for responding, think my problem is stereo and speakers, thinking of replacing stereo first

Am on the verge of purchasing something along these lines from Canadian Tire, this one also has CD that I would not use, concerned about stator?

Could I ask you if this basic stereo would be safe to install on my 84 interstate

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...4552P/Sony+CDX-GT270MP+In-Dash+Car+Stereo.jsp

One fellow told me that I am fine with any car stereo as long as it fits?

·
Pwhoever
3,360 Posts
I just want to state that I am in no way an audio expert. The average car stereo doesn't draw much power. They are usually equipped with a 10a fuse. I don't know though how much this one will draw so I can't give you an answer if it will be ok with your stator. But as far as that stereo, if thats the one you want, a google search shows that you can find it cheaper than the Canadian Tire price but then you would have to consider shipping and possibly import fees to Canada.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
If your stator is working then odds are you won't have a problem with it..it would have went out earlier..I have a JVC Stereo, Kenwood speakers and also a 2 channel amp. the distortion comes from not enough power to the speakers..so a small amp will help that out.
But I also have a J&M System, CB, GPS, Go Pro and pull a trailer with mine..and the stator does just fine.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
I actually really like the Kenwood deck I'm using... so much so that I have one on the bike, one in my suburban, one in my pontiac, and had one in my VW before I sold it. It runs about $130, but I think it's well worth it. That said, I've seen other members who have marine decks that don't have cd players, just mp3 hook-ups and tuners. Had I seen those before getting the one I have, I would have probably gone with the marine unit because they are not as deep as a standard DIN unit, which is good with the limited space you get. Plus, who really uses the cd player anymore anyway?

Starting with the stereo isn't a bad idea IMO, because those speakers, while not top end units, don't look terrible, and you said all the speakers you tried still had distortion, so with a decent deck I would think they'd at least sound decent.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.