Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My tires are about ready to be replaced. I have used the search button and read up on some of the posts on tires for the 1200, but are there any new tires on the market for the girl that someone can tell me about????

She's still wearing the Dunlop Elite II's that were on her when I got her and she is my daily driver these days and am looking for a good riding tire that has a decent tread life. I know the Dunlops are good tires but is there anything else out there for me to check out before I get the tires changed out? Thanks,

Jeff

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
imported post

Sooo many riders recommend the E3's, that is what I am picking up Monday. I researched the D404's, I like the tread pattern better, but too many guys reporting problems. I realy dont like the tread patern of the E3's, but if it works, it works.

You could look into some Avons, but thier more expensive and I havent heard they were any better.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I preformed the search last year before buying my tires. I had many people steer me toward the E3's but most of teh guys who recomended those tires toured extensively and long lasting tires was the basis on the recomendations.
I went onto other forums and websites and found that many heavy bikes enjoyed the Avons for some twisty fun. Since I rarely go past 400 a day on weekends and really enjoy twisty roads I went with the Avons.

They will wear out quicker also cupping sooner but give me that peg scraping preformance I enjoy.They also look very sexy. I have been to a few chopper dealers and the avons are there tire of choice , I think because of tread design and load capabilities.
I have also heard good things about the metzlers, but very few opinions.
I would keep looking oin the search and other touriung sites . Make a list of pros and cons and make your decision from there.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks guys, I have been looking at the Venoms myself and have been leaning toward them. I like to lean her over now and then myselft and do travel some twisties on a regular basis. The other day I had to slow her down and lean her back up because the Dunlops wouldn't hold the lean, but they do have about 8000 miles on them.

BTW, muaymendez1, I haven't heard back from the guy that said he would mail me the clamp so if you don't mind, check and see if you still have one for me if you don't mind. If he emails me I will let you know.

Thanks again,

Jeff

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

I had an ' 84 GL1200 till just recently (changed to a 1500) and I went from the Dunlop Elite II to the Elite III and was very pleased. I can't attest to the tread life, and I don't expect them to be as long wearing as the IIs, I believe the rubber is softer, which makes them a better handling tire, particularly in the rain.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

I just put on a set of Elite II's I like the white letters and get great milage from them.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

I have Metzler 880's on mine, and am satisfied.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I dropped by the Honda store today and laughed at their prices they wanted to mount the tires for me. They have the EIII's for around $400 and that didn't include the mounting of the tires. I have found them on several internet stores that will ship them to my house for around $265 and a local guy said he would mount them for around $70.

Does that sound about right to you guys? I would rather buy locally but not at the Honda Store price...................I'll keep checking to see what I can find for now.

Thanks for the replies guys!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

$70 to remove the wheels, mount and reinstall sounds like a bargain....just make sure its a good service guy. I'm with 4evermetric....Metzlers are REALLY sticky....

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

that sounds reasonable. I guess you get free shipping cause you buy 2. and the installer may take the rear wheel off due having the buisness of both tires.
Guiys around here want to charge me $50 for dismounting the wheel off the bike.

$80 if I do both.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Well as you know it depends on the type of riding you do or are going to do, plus what your budget is for them. You must know that the harder the the tire is the more milage your going to get. This is why there are so many opinnions. I've had the elite II's [new]and just about wiped out in the first 10 miles on a wet paved highway coming onto an off ramp with very little lean. So you know what I did then. The III's i've only heard about just like you. I put Metzlers on mine as I like the feel of a softer tire, and I know it's not going to slide out from under me. I have not tried any other tires. So good luck on your decision, and let us know witch and why. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

The local dealer here wants $70 for the frona and $120 to change our the back tire plus thd cost of the tire. More if you dont buy the tiress from then. The difference in labor cost for the change almost makes it better to buy them there. E III's run $110 and $150 F/R at the dealer

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

i found the dunlop elite III at jakewilson.com front tire for about $85 and the rear tire for about $120.00 for my gl1200a the ride and handle very good compared to what was on it.i think it had dunlop 404s can't remember.really don't want too.just enjoying the new feel.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
imported post

Don't know about tires but the cost of installing the where ever you guys are sounds way out of line..The Honda shop around here does it for 25 dollars of the the bike or 40 on it..60 for the rear if on the bike..thats mount and balance..Just got my buddies tire for his FXR done there for the same price..Altough they want an arm and a leg for tires..

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

Check out motorcycle superstore they have the best prices I've found.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Today I went to a bike shop and was quoted $143.96 for an Elite 3 for the front...$144.95 for the rear.....$25.00 to mount and balance both if I bring in the wheels..Plus a $4.00 disposal charge for both old tires.....Tires priced a little high I been told....

Claude.....

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

although i ride a 1500 the pilot gtby michellin i had installed are by FAR the best tire I have ever run on the road. they are a little costly but are high mileage with good tread pattern very sticky on corners. from personal experience the dunlops elite2 are a good bargain but i have burned 3 sets since 2002 with an average of 12,000 miles toslicks. the mitchellin's have 6000 and still look fairly new ,i expect to get 15,000 from these with room for extra miles. also go http://www.bikebandit.com for your price comparisons and recommended tires for your 1200. i believe that mitchillin by far offers the best rubber compound for touring bikes and long distance ridding.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

www.cheapcycleparts.com usually has some good prices on the E-3's also. I dismount my own tires and the local dealer charges me 22 bucks for a mount and balance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.