Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I'm not here to bash / debate any bikes. I just need a little info.

My Nephew inherited a 1500 Intruder bike. We went to a school parking lot so he can get the feel of the bike before a little ride in the country. I made a couple of laps in the parking lot & the one thing that surprised me is that as soon as I started a turn (either direction), the handle bars wanted to go hard to the stops. I actually had to hold them back. I asked this question on a Suzuki forum & one replied that its a Suzuki thing.

Has anybody experienced this on a Suzuki or any other bike?

Thanks, Carl.

·
Administrator
25,969 Posts
I'm thinking low tire pressure.

Reactions: Goodlift

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave, I'll have to see if my Nephew checked the tires.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Carl from what I remember about my 03 like Dave said check the tire pressures and also they were bad about steering stem bearings. That was usually the first thing owners would change also. As they wore you would get a decel wobble through the handlebars.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Carl from what I remember about my 03 like Dave said check the tire pressures and also they were bad about steering stem bearings. That was usually the first thing owners would change also. As they wore you would get a decel wobble through the handlebars. "

The decell wobble, is that like the Goldwings where it wobbles while hands free? A few years ago, I did see a Youtube video of a crotch rocket wobble at around 70mph. It did not end good.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Yup just like the wings wobble. The 1500 Intruder was just as infamous for it.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,507 Posts
the Suzuki that I rode from Amarillo, TX to SLC, UT did not do that....
it was a bit ancient now, by today's standards, that was back in 1976.

that particular bike handled very well, I did some very stupid things on it at high rates of speed, and ran a car off the road once..... I was so fast, I could not hold it in my lane sweeping around a long curve.....

the oncoming car saw me and got off on to the berm to let me pass....

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is a `03 bike with 5000 miles on it. I would imagine it has the original tires on it. So the best thing to do is to put new rubber on it and go from there.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
I kind of remembered that. So I just took my Suzuki Boulevard S83 for a spin around the block. At low speed 1-10MPH once you turn the handlebar passed 10 degree or so it feels like someone is pushing on it towards the turn with a considerable force. It takes like 6Lb of pressure from each hand to counteract that.
So it must be a Suzuki thing

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"
I kind of remembered that. So I just took my Suzuki Boulevard S83 for a spin around the block. At low speed 1-10MPH once you turn the handlebar passed 10 degree or so it feels like someone is pushing on it towards the turn with a considerable force. It takes like 6Lb of pressure from each hand to counteract that.
So it must be a Suzuki thing "

Thanks Peter. It makes slow speed maneuvering a PITA.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
heres a good site for info/help.
I bought my 03 in 2007 used with only 350 miles on it. The owner got cancer and passed away and it went to a dealer in Wisconsin. By the time it had 5000 miles on it the steering neck bearings were pretty much dry and loose.

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
I went to see a Honda Shadow 1100 and took it for a test ride. When I went to turn it felt that way,like the bars wanted to go full stop, I went right back and asked if he had a tire gauge. After awhile he found one, both tires only had around 15 PSI. He rode it to a station to fill up the tires and when he got back he mentioned how much better it handled. I did buy it and it was a nice bike. Low tire pressure can cause hard handling

1 - 13 of 13 Posts