Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok, I got ny forks off the dust boots removed and the circlip off. According to the manual if I slam the tube fully extended from the lower leg a few times the tube will seperate from the lower and my seals will be on it ready to remove and install new ones on. Once on my 1100 I had a bear of a time getting them off, but I finally did. The next time I replaced them I took the forks to my local dealer and let him put the new ones in. The labor was reasonable making me think it didn't take longbut the Honda seals cost over twice the generics I got before. Now I've got dust boots & seals but I can't get the oldseals out. I'm gonna feel awful stupid taking the forks & seals in just to get them installed. Any tricks to get them buggers out?

P.S It's an 86 Aspencade.:)

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

I just replaced my fork seals here is how i got the seals out.

Grab the fork tube in one hand. Grab the lower leg in the other hand. Compress the fork and tube fully. Now pull apart as hard as you can! It took me abotu 3 tries with each fork and the seals were out..

Now you do have the end caps off, The cap screws out of the bottom, and the circlip holding the seal in all apart right?

Pat

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

I was unable to get the bottom allen bolts out of my forks. (The previous owner had stripped them smooth) I went to my autoparts store, and bought an oil seal puller. It's shaped likt a t with two curled hooks of different sizes on each side. I got it home, and took the larger side to my grinder where I put a nice sharp point on it, then I bent it in a slight radius. Next I drove it right into the seal with a hammer, and then levered the seal out.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

End caps? Somehow I missed that step, I even looked at the Service Manual twice! Now they are apart & cleaned If I can just get the bushing back into the lowerleg I'll have it whipped!

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Well the dirty deed is done, Now I just have to wait for my progressive springs to come in and I can finnish re-assembly. Had to drill one of the end caps but I had a spare bolt of the proper size to replace it. I'll be surprised if the first one I did last very long I had to disassemble & re-assemble about 5 times before I got it right.:shock:

Seems like those jobs were easier 15 years ago.........

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

I have seen a lot of questions about front fork removal and seal, spring, oil changes, etc.and I think it would be a great idea if someone had a video of this procedure.

Sometimes the text just doesn't get all the details that a video could. I know Ithink I would feel more comfortable SEEING how it is done. Especially when some of us who have never taken one apart dont understand all the details.

Does anyone have such a video? Even a short one that shows all the parts and how they are assembled. It could easily be done as a .wmv file and maybe uploaded to an archive for download.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Harry

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

If you don't remove the concealed allen bolt from the bottom of the fork leg then you can't seperate the fork, simple as that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.