Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well I'm just about finished rebuilding the 82 Interstate I purchased and getting ready for the first trip out. Having ridden only cruisers ie: Intruder 1400, kawi 1000 etc. I was just wondering if there is anything I should be aware of as to handling etc. of this, what Iwould call a heavy bike. The stationary fairing kinda freaks me out a bit but it's not that big a deal. Any advice will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

I've never been on a 1982, but this 1800 of mine was freaky at low speed maneuvering when I first got it. Very heavy bike. However, a lot of slow speed practice, tight u turns, etc and it all got easier. That would be my one recommendation. Practice slow speed maneuvering. They are pretty smooth down the highway. I would think you would get to enjoying that ride.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

Ride...a lot! The more you ride, the less the worry about the weight will enter your mind, and the better you will become. Spending a few Sunday mornings in an empty parking alot practicing slow speed stuff works wonders. It's the slow speed stuff that gets people nervous, other than that, it's like any other bike.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

Go out by yourself first and get used to the bike, try and get some practice in on a car park doing some tight turns etc, if you do go with other bikes ride at your own pace rather than keeping up with them, they will wait.

dont look at your fairing, you should always be looking well ahead and where you are going, most of all enjoy it

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I'm pretty proficient at slow speeds, the Intruder has a 39 degree rake and is a bit floppy but after so many years of riding it I guess I just feel super comfortable. I'm sure it'll be the same with the Wing. How is it at the front brake and the bars off center. Will she drag right down?

I do not own a car so riding alot is not a problem.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

artmann wrote:
I'm pretty proficient at slow speeds, the Intruder has a 39 degree rake and is a bit floppy but after so many years of riding it I guess I just feel super comfortable. I'm sure it'll be the same with the Wing. How is it at the front brake and the bars off center. Will she drag right down?

I do not own a car so riding alot is not a problem.
Your intruder is a world of different compared to the wing. The lower center of gravity, and the lower seat height (on the intruder) are the biggest differences.

If your inseam is 32" or better, the increase seat height of the wing won't bother you, but with mine a 30", it did ( and does). Having that big rake on the Intruder is different to what you will feel on the wing. I think its a cross between feeling slightly top heavy and the fear that all that plastic and fairing won't allow you to lean the bike as much as you need to.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

yes I did have that impression.It seems that 31 inch seat height would give many folks a problem. My inseam is 32 but I still have that top heavy feeling. Well it'll be OK with time I'm sure . Thanks

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
imported post

NEVER let go of both grips around 40 mph. Watch out for the wing wobble between 35-45 Once you feel it you won't forget the thrill. good luck

·
Administrator
26,977 Posts
imported post

Learn to use counter steering if you haven't already. I rode many bikes before and never was actually aware of using countersteer even though I was. When I got my first 1100 I began to notice what I was doing to navigate a curve and learned to use it rather than trying to force the bike to turn with my body weight.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

riding tips
1. Have enough gas to get home

2. If you like to go fast, eat a donut first, that way if you get stopped the cops will be so distracted he'll forget to give you a ticket. (The down side is he may attempt to make out with you since you'll be putting out donut pheromones)

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
imported post

The fairing will take a little to get used to. Just ignore it and look in the direction you want to go and the Wing will take you there! She will lean as far as you want to lean and as nimble as your cruiser. Make sure you have plenty of water to drink as you will be smiling all the time!:action:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Learn the 'butt first' technique of righting a Goldwing. You'll need that sooner or later. It will save you the embarrassment of getting help to stand the bike back up when you drop it. When you drop it don't try to hold it up, the safest procedure is to get out of it's way, the thing is a lot heavier than you think it is when it decides to take a nap.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
imported post

Take an MSF Experienced Rider Course. One day course you take on YOUR motorcycle. Will give you some great skills that will save your life and you have the added benefit of taking it on your own bike.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

I still remember my first ride on a 75 GL1000 std. The dealer cautioned me about the power and quick respose. Well did I listen - NO I got on the throttle right off the bat. Anchorage Honda was between two major streets in Anch AK. the out bound 4 lane made a "S" around a car dealership.
I still do not know how I made it thru that "S". Cann't tell ya how fast I was going but I do know the lean I had on the bike was 100%. Scared the C*** out of me. Lesson learned.
My Dad told me " Son You can Go as Fast as ya want as Long as your not in a hurry"

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

It'll be easier to ride than your Kawi or Suzuki, and I've had a few cruisers. The steering is very neutral, almost sporty in nature. You won't really feel the weight. Most of the GW mass is below your butt, so maneuvers are quite easy.

As a matter of fact, I find it more benign than my VFR or Magna that I had before this bike.

Just be thankful you didn't get aVoyager. Those are notorious for tipping over.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Yeah, Ride it like 'ya stole it.

Then, once you realize that it is actually yours, everything becomes a piece of cake.

With less rake, it should be easier to ride no matter how you look at it.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Well gentlemen I just completed my first ride on my resurrected GL 1100 29 miles, unfortunately it was on the way to work but any ride is a good ride!! Quite a different ride from the other bikes I own but I did enjoy every minute of it. Thanks again for all the assistance I recieved on this Board you guys are great !!

Artmann

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Congrats on the first ride....I remember my first ride and now wished I would have had all the great advise that you have gotten....I was not prepared for the "low speed wobble" and it scared the bejesus out of me..I also found myself letting it lean to the right, which I later found out that both tires were bad and I almost over corrected....I bought my Wing and figured OH a few days and I'll have all the bugs ironed out....It was not to be !!!!! It has become a "work in progress" and I have had many problems in just getting to where I'm at now....But thats my problem....Like someone said ...Now ride it like you stole it !!!!!!

Claude.....

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
imported post

As for the fairing... When you get out on the highway you will notice a smoother ride than you get on a cruiser with handle bar mounted fairing or windsheild. The wind knocks you around when it is mounted to the bars as compaired to the Wing which has its fairing mounted to the bikes frame and can resist the wind currents. Lots less turbulance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.