Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1982 Goldwing 1100 Interstate
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the only option to referbish chrome spark plug covers (on an '82 GL1100I) other than having a plating shop re-chrome them? Mine are pretty pitted.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
There is not much you can do to restore chrome once it is pitted like that (other than re-chrome) But you could get them powder coated. There are several colors available, including silver.Powdercoat is extremely durable and looks good if prepared and done correctly..........I suppose you could also just clean them up and paint them yourself , a colour that compliments your bike........

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Four choices I think-

1- Rechrome, but if it is severely pitted, even this might not work well and could end up expensive,

2- Blast, fill, and repaint. Maybe use a gloss paint, or a flat paint depending on how it looks on the bike to either set it off or blend it in,

3- Find a better one off ebay or something,

4- Leave it off.

But, that is just my opinion... which may not be worth anything...

·
IBA Member
373 Posts
Never Dull works well for surface rust but I doubt it will help with the pitting.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Black 'Plastidip' available in the paint can or spray can from your local hardware store.

Looks like it was made that way and is excellent for the trim and mirrors especially.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
Make me an offer and I'll sell you mine. I don't care for bling for the sake of bling, so I toke them off.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Make me an offer and I'll sell you mine. I don't care for bling for the sake of bling, so I toke them off.
PM sent to bcassel.. Hopefully we can work something out! A lot less hastle if they are in good shape.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
I couldn't find the pieces for a light bar for my 1100, the pieces on it were rusted badly, but the plating shop I use, took them and replated them, both sides, Those pieces are as smooth as glass, no pits any where...I also have some other bits and pieces, including the same pieces as yours that one day I would like to have redone...However money is tight so not for awhile...

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Made a deal with bcassel and received the covers.. They look great! Many thanks to Bob.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.