Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

If that bike is going over I personally want to be as far away from it as possible. Leathers hav always worked well. Man seat belts?

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Can the ejector seat come with a "eject passenger" button for when the rider is being annoying. LOL

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
imported post

pcfix_3 wrote:
Can the ejector seat come with a "eject passenger" button for when the rider is being annoying. LOL
Call it EMILE -Emergency Mother In Law Ejection. Kinda like the older Ford pick ups where you could turn off the passenger bag, I always called that the mother in law switch.:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

There you are nice quite ride out. Banked over in long sweeping turn, back end trips out a bit on mud and you end up fired off into the nearest hedge!

And also what parts of put an explosive charge near the fuel tank seemed like a good idea:X

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

This is the kind of thing I fear. If you are driving a car with airbags, you ARE literally sitting inches away from a bomb, which could go off for any reason, or never go off, even if their was a reason. To my way of thinking, all the new computerized crap they are putting on bikes these days, like airbags, antilock brakes, electronic fuel injection are definitely bad. And now this? To me the main appeal of motorcycles is that they are basic, elemental, even primitive machines that satisfies a part of many people who need something like that in their lives. Technology has gone so far that many people need an escape from it, and motorcycles work for me. But not if you make them part of that technology. I do not want to start an argument, But I have always believed that's why Harleys sell so well. They may be more modern than they look, But they still provide that basic look, feel, and sound of a very primitive machine, and that is what many people want. It's what I want. I just want the Japanese to build it. But if they won't, I may be forced to take my business elsewhere.

There are a lot of old Japanese bikes out there, but as I am finding out, you can't get parts for them. You can get parts for any Harley, no matter how old. You can get brand new Shovelhead, Panhead, and even Knucklehead engines.

Now in no way am I saying Harleys are perfect, they aren't. Far from it in fact. Even the best built EVO would be lucky to make it to 100,000 miles. But then you rebuild it, cheaply, and go another 100,000 miles. And when it is out of rebuilds, you buy an S&S, RevTech, Merch, or other aftermarket motor, stick it in, and start all over again.

I wish Honda understood that, and made the Goldwing motor as easy to rebuild as a small block Chevy, and still supplied parts for them. I'm sure they could build a more reliable bike than Harley, but they just won't support what they build. Sorry about the rant. I think all the technology on my 26 year old LTD is getting to me. Jerry.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

They've got to be joking..............

Sliding down the road, strapped toan upholstered luge, straight into a crash barrier, 18-wheeler, tree or whatever ? At least you'd die in comfort.

I'll take my chances with my leathers, thank you very much.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

Wasn't that posted close to the 1st of April???
Ring, ring a bell?

:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

The second option...As you are ejected, two small rockets are activated as rocket controls swing in front of the operator. You can choose to "hover" and watch/record the remainder of the crash or fly to a "GPS guided" safe zone.

Or, you can just skip all of the unknowns and buy one of these. http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/06/die-smiling-on-this-hoverbike/

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

Bigun wrote:
pcfix_3 wrote:
Call it EMILE -Emergency Mother In Law Ejection. Kinda like the older Ford pick ups where you could turn off the passenger bag, I always called that the mother in law switch.:ROFL:
:ROFL: Here's a rudimentary idea...something to "build on" so-to-speak...

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/NgFhJN4H0T0&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I like the drawing of the rider on the seat on the ground with his legs straight out:ROFL:

It would be more like the rider rolling and getting his vertebrae and spinal cord screwed up because of rolling over the seat.:shock:

I think I would rather crash and burn

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
This is the kind of thing I fear. If you are driving a car with airbags, you ARE literally sitting inches away from a bomb, which could go off for any reason, or never go off, even if their was a reason. To my way of thinking, all the new computerized crap they are putting on bikes these days, like airbags, antilock brakes, electronic fuel injection are definitely bad. And now this? To me the main appeal of motorcycles is that they are basic, elemental, even primitive machines that satisfies a part of many people who need something like that in their lives. Technology has gone so far that many people need an escape from it, and motorcycles work for me. But not if you make them part of that technology. I do not want to start an argument, But I have always believed that's why Harleys sell so well. They may be more modern than they look, But they still provide that basic look, feel, and sound of a very primitive machine, and that is what many people want. It's what I want. I just want the Japanese to build it. But if they won't, I may be forced to take my business elsewhere.

There are a lot of old Japanese bikes out there, but as I am finding out, you can't get parts for them. You can get parts for any Harley, no matter how old. You can get brand new Shovelhead, Panhead, and even Knucklehead engines.

Now in no way am I saying Harleys are perfect, they aren't. Far from it in fact. Even the best built EVO would be lucky to make it to 100,000 miles. But then you rebuild it, cheaply, and go another 100,000 miles. And when it is out of rebuilds, you buy an S&S, RevTech, Merch, or other aftermarket motor, stick it in, and start all over again.

I wish Honda understood that, and made the Goldwing motor as easy to rebuild as a small block Chevy, and still supplied parts for them. I'm sure they could build a more reliable bike than Harley, but they just won't support what they build. Sorry about the rant. I think all the technology on my 26 year old LTD is getting to me. Jerry.
Yeah, what he said! :smiler:

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Meh...just make an airbag suit.
I was actually watching an episode of motor week earlier in the year and Pat Goss featured a vest/jacket that hooks onto the frame with a strap. When you're ejected from the bike the strap pulls out and pops a compressed canister of sorts and the jacket puffs uplike an airbag. I can't remember what the company was, but I think he said they were about $400.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Holy moly. Is he still around? I used to watch Motorweek 30 years ago. I liked it, but he seemed to have a bias against American cars.

The absolute best protection in a getoff/slide is leather. There is no acceptable protection in an actual collision. It's just something you have to accept if you ride a motorcycle. Please wear a full face helmet.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:

Wow, you must have really been depressed when that whole, electricity thing was invented. Cuz that really change the world. :action::action: Just kidding. We all have our opinions.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
imported post

FenderHead wrote:
Bigun wrote:
pcfix_3 wrote:
:ROFL: Here's a rudimentary idea...something to "build on" so-to-speak...
That video was hilarious. Where can I order one?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.