Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anybody willing to make their own "Landing Gear", to fit their own bike. There must be enough talent on board here to collaborate and design, then fabricate. We could do this for all models of the GW. It will take "the want to do.." .what do you think? Any takers?

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Actually quite easy to put a package together. My fear would be a lawsuit, when something went wrong, even if due to carelessness or lack of maintenance. I have thought of it several times. Even down to what materials to use.
Would you believe - a little hyd. cyl. out of a Hyster Winch??!! :D The rest of the mechanical aspect of the thing would be easy. Then we'd have to tie it in to the vehicle speed. That'd probably be the tough part, especially on earlier "analogue" speedos. I imagine one could get ahold of that original builder, and maybe get the plans (buy) for the circuit board. And, he no doubt had it made. The Wiring might be a challenge on a 1500 or 1800.

Then, there's the aditional weight to contend with. That pump is no lightweight. And the u-bar and cylinder mechanism must be 40 lbs. Maybe a total of 70 to 80 lbs.

I just don't know if it'd fly. Especially with trikes really catching on?

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Power paks are abundant in industry, the rest is available and as far as motion goes use a detector that senses motion by differing contrasts. There are a lot to choose from. If we make it and we all use it and someone in the group gets hurt he would also have to sue himself.

I'm thinking a small 2 hp unit, minimal valves, around 3000 PSIG.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
imported post

The marine industry has several smaller lightweight pumps that would be a great fit, Or why not use air?

I understand the issues with liability, The issue is when the member sells the bike and the next owner encounters a problem. There are many circumstances that would allow it to get beyond the fourms control, Yet if something goes south it could be traced to the fourm .

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

If there was significant money to be made, I believe that the original company would be back in business.. I expect it was more work than it was worth... they probabaly collected the insurance (if they had any) and went on to other things...

For what it is worth, I would not buy one from you or anyone (or a company) that was not big enough to back it up with warrenty and liability.. I would make my own... and that is what your suggestion sounds like.. finding those that want to collaborate and make one...

Like you guys, I have thought about it and I may do one someday when my legs give out, but I do not want all the bells and whistles that make it automatic (and unreliable).. I would use manually activated up and down.... and I would probably not use hydraulics, rather strictly mechanical with an electric screw drive.. less crap to deal with... then, just like on an airplane, flip the switch to lower the gear.. and flip it back to raise it... Even if you wanted the auto function, it would not be difficult.. almost all wings back through about 1982 have a pulsed electronic speed signal (that is what I used for the Rostra Cruise Control install) that could be integrated into auto switching circuit...

Good Luck

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

ARKnapp,

I would not use any sensors. I would rather have a manual switch. I believe that would be much safer.

Nightrider1

ARKnapp wrote:
Power paks are abundant in industry, the rest is available and as far as motion goes use a detector that senses motion by differing contrasts. There are a lot to choose from. If we make it and we all use it and someone in the group gets hurt he would also have to sue himself.

I'm thinking a small 2 hp unit, minimal valves, around 3000 PSIG.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
imported post

I'm thinking of building one myself too.
I'd done some research and found this frequency switch is suitable for the automatic control
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2810/article.html

Alternatively, if you are good in electronics, you can build a frequency switch yourself by using LM2907 or LM2917 frequency to Voltage converter.

http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM2907.html

I did considered using DC servor motor with screw drive, but the timing is too long. Pneumatic piston with capacity of 300kg is too big, Hydraulic system should be better choice.

Marine industry hydraulic power paks is too expensive, I think a 12V DC power paks use for portable pellet truck which has a loading capacity upto 3 tons is a cheaper alternative. The size about the same as the original landing gear.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I could do this, would not be real hard to do. You could even take the old existing design a bit further and install some lock pins operated by a solenoid so you had a very sure and positive lock when extended.

Thing is dealing with the public is a very risky thing. So if one is not a large company or corporation, most likely best to do something like this for yourself is you wish, but do not dare try to sell it for profit.

Another consideration is the fact of the cost. The older systems that used to be available for sale did cost a pretty penny . Time you put the cost of this system on top of the purchase price for a professionally built Trike, the cost is the same, and you have a lesser product. Kinda a bulky heavy situation where the system does interfere with some things, does and can high center the drive wheel sometimes, so to improve it you would have to design into it independent suspension for each wheel and this adds more complexity and weight. That other system cannot remember the name of it (went brain dead :)) you know the frame with two wheels, already has independent suspension for each wheel, just for that reason . It is kinda an add on substitute for a Trike.

Other than warranty issues with the Trikes. Honda will not warranty anything if a bike is Triked, some dealers will, but that is up to them to do so. One of the dealers close to me builds them, warranties them and as for price I have seen the trikes for right at $30 grand. Plus or minus a couple grand depending on what is on them, spare gas tank and so on, and landing wheels are right at 10 grand. so it is the same in cost.

Kit

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

MADDOG355 wrote:
The marine industry has several smaller lightweight pumps that would be a great fit, Or why not use air?
Air compresses differently with different forces, oil, water, etc. would be a solid, better choice. You would have to incorporate, to limit liability. Not worth it, as someone already pointed out how trikes are catching on.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

The "landing gear" company is still in business and their units are going for $6K.
The owner passed away but the company is still building units.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Trikeman5328 wrote:
The "landing gear" company is still in business and their units are going for $6K.
The owner passed away but the company is still building units.
Really?.. please provide the contact info...

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Last I heard, the "original" LG guy moved to Texas area. And, I don't think the "original" LG was near that much money. That's half the price of a trike kit. I wonder if you mean "Safety Features", The Cessna looking contraption. Like they were borrowed off some Cessna, and made to pivot thru an arc. Man, I can imagine the ridicule that outfit could draw.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
.... I wonder if you mean "Safety Features", The Cessna looking contraption.....
Might be... HERE is the link to their "Retractatrike" and "GhostWheels", both interesting products of Safety Fetaures... The Gold Wing does not have "GhostWheels" available but it is interesting how they work in that both sides are linked together hydraulically when articulating but isolated when stationary... also a pic of the Retractatrike on a GL1500 attached below..

Attachments

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Just adding a clip of "Ghost Wheels" in action when able to articulate.... they don't make it for goldwings..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

Hello,

Are you saying that you want to retrofit and make the " Landing Gear " for people that want it or are you looking for people to come to the table to make the system?

I am interested in only the Landing Gear because it does not make the bike any wider then it was from the factory but still gives the rider the upright stability of more then two wheels at a stop and very slow rolling. I have a bad case of RA which makes it very hard to control the bike at slow speeds IE; less than 12 MPH as the web video states.

I have a GL1200 LTD in pristine condition and I want to retrofit it with this type of add on wheels

Please let me know what your intentions are in this regard. I am very interested.

Carter ;) :?

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

I think in the economy we are now in, these options may be a bit more attractive than a full trike. Also when I looked at the Landing Gear I liked the fact that I could still lean while in the curves, yet have stability at the lights...

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
imported post

I have to ask..If the liabitly as come up, just how safe are these kits..I am just preparing for my cycle test in Washington St..Am I sure that such an aid would not be allowed in the test..Whick asks the ? as to the fitness that is needed to ride..I am not sure I could ride in a city like area with stop lights every block.. I bought my wing to ride to work on I don't have to stop between my house and work..Everyone should get to injoy a ride but we all have a duty to make sure we can do it safely..I don't want to offend anyone..Just my 2 cents minus the 1.5 cents my wife took..

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
imported post

They are to help people with physical disabilities and older riders who don't want to give up riding motorcycles. Myself, I have a bum left leg from Viet Nam and can't support the wing at slow traveling in parking lots or at the gas pump (especially with my wife riding with me)and I don't think the owners appreciate me knocking over their pump's when me and the boss stop for fuel. I considered a trike but put that away when I tried riding one in the mountains and all my buddies ran off and left me because I had to slow down so much to trike the curves and besides the handling of the bike by leaning in the curves is what I love about riding a big bike, that is my two cents worth.:gunhead:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.