Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My gal is kinda tall - a little over 6'1". Every time we ride long daysher knees start to hurt (old skiing abuse dies had). My research shows there are several different options for raising passenger boards and even moving them back - kinda the opposite of what I need.

Anyone ever used these brackets backwards? or rather upside down? to lower the passenger floorboards?

Can this be done and is there any issues with this - clearance etc.? It doesn't seem so for the 1" or so of standard movement that most of these aftermarket brackets offer standard.

Thanks in advance for help.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Considering how high the passenger boards are on an 18, I doubt there would be any issue lowering them a bit Blackdog. I know Nightflyer did it on his 1500 by fashioning his own brackets for his taller than average lady passenger.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Silverfox.

Unfortunately, I asked the question before I looked too closely. Seems like the boards are mounted pretty close to - like directly on top of the exhaust Chrome. The brackets I have seen so far are all flat to rise.

I would have to come out from the side a bit and then lower - But thanks for letting me know that Nightflyer did this - I can ask him about it.

See these raise but it looks like Iwould hit the chrome if I flipped them. Hmmmm....

·
Just one of the guys
4,799 Posts
imported post

I am sure you could fashion a way to move them forward, then you could add a little cusion to the seat to raise her up a bit. She might wind up in the wind too far but then again it might work, cheap enough to try.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

I need to do just the opposite for my shorter than avaerge (5'0") pillion rider. Would these brackets shown in the picture work on an 84 Interstate? If so where can I get them. I haven't seen any on the after market web sites. Thanks in advance for the input.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Hopefully someone else will come on with same for your model- I have only seen them for 1800's.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I just went out and looked at mine and I reckon if you could get a block of billet aluminium about 1" x1" square and the same length as the foot plates and then drilled holes through where the existing mount plates are, you could then attatch the chrome plates you have pictured, with the foot plate then mounted lower and it would clear the bulge in the exhaust.

So in other words, just use a billet aluminium block as a big spacer.

Hope you get what I mean. Should be obtainable from a metal fabrication shop.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks Silverfox.

Don't mean to be a dope - but I really am about these fabricating type thingys ...

Where would I get a billet block? I have a friend that has a drillpress (I think) but I would need a source for the 1x1x? Billet piece and longer bolts of the same type I would think?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Papabee49, we used to have a member who rode an 1100 with two youngsters on the back and he made up special plates to adjust the pegs up on his bike, even fabricating a second set for the second yougster to use.

Can't quite remember but it was either Lil Pete or Lil jack, had that set up.

Might find pictures in the gallery, to give you inspiration.

How about another idea, of removing the rubber from your pegs/ plates and if you have pegs, get a plate welded onto the peg onto which you could build wooden blocks up, onto which you could cut some rubber matting neatly to finish nicely and to stop your wife's feet slipping. If you already have plates then blocks of wood mounted directly to those and the existing rubber matting could be stuck on top.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Well Blackdog I would of course pop some round to you, but unfortunately I am not a good swimmer. :D

Failing that, I am guessing you have some local metal fabrication firms over there who work with metal still, hey would normally keep square section steel and aluminium etc. Then, yes you would need extended bolts that would go through those rise plates, through the new block of ally and then into the existing mount holes.

Just undoing one of the foot plates and offering it up to roughly where your wife might need her feet would give you a more definate dimension for that aluminium bar.

I would suggest you avoid going for box section or solid steel as the steel may react to the aluminium of the foot plates and mounts causing oxidization, plus the steel will rust if not treated well.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Raise the saddle ,, Go to a good upholstery shop and get them to redo the rear seat on the wing .. Ciaran

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

thanks wexy - but she already complains about too much "wind" - and it isn't coming from me! :cooldevil:

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

Get her her own bike!

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Well - she doesn't want one - and I'd miss myback "bumpers" :D

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

picasso wrote:
Get her her own bike!
:DA tall one!!! :shock::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Old Wexy is all good and keen on spending your money Blackdog, I think the block of Ally would be somewhat cheaper than re upholstering the seat. :)

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I think it is time to put some Harley parts on that bike! Take the existing foot rests of entirely and adapt something like this to the mount. You can slot the fastener holes, or not, would depend on the actual mounting hole position and use a billet behind the mount if you wish to bring it out a bit,and a actual foot peg of your choice.
Küryakyn - Harley - Underseat Pegs

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Hey now there's another option - hmmmm.....Thanks for the idea. I was just talking with Silverfox on PM and I do have a friend that rides Victory that is always making stuff so Harley parts will fit on it - Hmmmm... gotta think some more... I looked and there are a few other challenges like the curvature of the area for flushmounting and the actual bolt through holes are tabs below the bracket.

Curved against bike for flushmount...

Bolt through "tabs" below...

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

What about something like this ?? :baffled:;)

(Excuse the rough image, but I think you get the gist of it)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
imported post

wexy wrote:
Raise the saddle ,, Go to a good upholstery shop and get them to redo the rear seat on the wing .. Ciaran
I raised Mrs 2wings seat up a bit now she want to tell me how to drive. I should have lowered it so she couldn't see :doh:

Keep on Winging:bat:

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

Hey Silverfox, I had thought about putting wood on the original foot rest until I got one of those "no you're not" looks from my wife. I hadn't thought about billet aluminum so will have to check that out. Thanks for the ideas.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.