Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever added seat heat to a GL1500? I had a BMW that had seat heat and I liked it. However I do not know if the GW will handle the amps it requires to feed a heated seat. I found some on Amazon, but they are all for Auto applications, however if the amperage is withing range of what the GW can handle, it would be easy to adapt.
Any thoughts?
Or should I just buy heated gear and forget the heated seat idea.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Year, Model, added electrical accessories, alternator (OEM or aftermarket high output) are determining factors regarding available amperage on a GL1500.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Heated seats

As many lights, gps, coffee pots, etc... that these guys add. I think you would be perfectly fine with a heated seat.>:)

Heated gear is really nice and probably easier to deal with. No installation and easy to use on a different bike! I love mine.

Rayjoe

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Took a ride on my bike one cold morning and thought I had a "heated seat" on the bike. Then I realize there was a couple "hot pockets" in my "hip pockets".

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the SE model (1996 GL1500SE) have any more amperage from the Alternator than the Interstate or Aspencade?
Still learning about my new bike.

What about heated grips, I assume Oxford is the way to go? Or do you bother?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Does the SE model (1996 GL1500SE) have any more amperage from the Alternator than the Interstate or Aspencade?
Still learning about my new bike.

What about heated grips, I assume Oxford is the way to go? Or do you bother?
The 1996 SE, Interstate and Aspencade all have the same output amperage rating on the OEM alternators.

The primary concern is how much amperage is needed for the OEM stock system.

Then you know how much amperage you have in reserve for additional lights and electrical accessories.

The following assumes you have the four (4) optional lights (fairing marker, trunk marker, saddlebag and light between the saddlebags.

Hint: For a 1996 SE, you would have about 18 amps of reserve. If using the OEM 45/45 watt head light bulbs. If using 55/60 watt head light bulbs, you would have about 16.50 amps of reserve (when using low beam).

The Interstate and Aspencade would have about 1/2 amp more reserve amperage. They do not have the spoiler w/light on the trunk.

Hope this helps.....!

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
I found some heating elements on Ebay. I installed them on the front, rear and backrest. Been running them on on compufire for 3 years with no issues. Very cheap and easy to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts