Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was a teen, Mechanix Illustrated came out with the Tri-Magnum on the cover. Every few years I go back and look at the thing and think, I could build that. However what has always stopped me is the fact that I did not have a good donor bike for the project.
Recently I bought 2 Goldwings, a 89 GL1500 and a 84 GL1200. The 1200 is nice, looks good and just needs the alternator installed, I have ridden it and it is nice.
The GL1500 is a pig, about 50% of the plastics are broken, cracked or just plain missing. The seat is shot, the chrome is bad, the windscreen is opaque and it over all is faded and looks like a turd. However, I have ridden this also and it runs and rides like a dream. I will spend twice the value of the bike replacing plastics and other parts and it will still never be anything I can sell.
So, this got me to thinking, everything that is bad about this GL1500 with be removed and thrown away in the conversion and what is left is hidden under bodywork. I would basically strip it to the very basic frame, no plastics for the build.
Having reverse is a major bonus as is cruise control.
I am thinking I may adjust the bodywork to a more open cockpit with a roll bar, kind of a 3 wheeled convertible.
Where I live we get over 200 days of sunshine a year and less than 9 inches of rain.
See here https://rqriley.com/product/tri-magnum-trike-plans/

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
Where does one obtain the body for the vehicle???

·
Administrator
57,377 Posts
the 1500 will present a major problem if he wants to use Reverse.

the 1800 found in a slavage yard will be better.
like the one that I got my spare parts from, it met up with a stopped car.... front end a total loss, from the triple tree back, it was like new. the 1800 has Electric Reverse.

for me, that thing spells Sweat Box, no ventilation, and for sure, no a/c.

·
Administrator
24,345 Posts
There's something even more unique out there and the 1500 can be used for it. http://www.autocycles.org/ I have seen these and one will come up for sale every now and then that needs a new engine.
I saw cars something like that when I was in Germany in the early 70s, don't know what they were.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the 1500 will present a major problem if he wants to use Reverse.

the 1800 found in a slavage yard will be better.
like the one that I got my spare parts from, it met up with a stopped car.... front end a total loss, from the triple tree back, it was like new. the 1800 has Electric Reverse.

for me, that thing spells Sweat Box, no ventilation, and for sure, no a/c.
I don't see why the 1500 would be a problem, mine has reverse. the GL1500 came with reverse on all but the Interstate. The parts bike I have has reverse and it works fine.
As for the sweat box, that is why I said I want to build it as an open cockpit style, convertible, just a windshield and a roll bar. No roof, no side windows, open air. More like a Slingshot, but with the engine in the rear.

·
Registered
707 Posts
The body work would present a tremendous challenge but it looks dang cool. Kind of 80's techno futuristic.

Go for it. We only regret the opportunities not taken.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts