Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

83 aspy with 71000 miles. Rode to town today and filled up. Leaving the station when I got on the highway I heard a racket like I left the sidestand down and the driveline got real jerky. It shifts fine in all gears but when I power out in second it kicks in and out. Low power rpm it stays in.I think maybe its a worn dog or shift fork.It hasthe original clutch in it and doesntseem like its slipping. Just wonderin if any anothers have ever had that happen. JB

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

Sounds like something broke. Time to split the cases or get another engine.

James

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

tried that and it goes right into 3rd. A little pressure down and its into neutral. The shifts all feel normal so intially im ruling out the spring under the waterpump but of course ill look there firstl. Power up around 4k rpm and it jumps out of 2nd gear, let off the throttle a little and its back into second. Started happening just like that. JB

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

just took it for a spin after it cooled for a couple hours. Initially it stayed in second if I slowly ran it up. I can run 1st and 3rd up to 6k rpm no problems but now when warm second is kicking out and going back into neutral under a load.. I wouldnt think a clutch would go out in just second. The clutch and shifts< with the stock shifter>dont feel any differant than before other than it wont hold second under a load. JB

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

I cant see how a clutch would cause 2nd gear pop outs or any gear for that matter. When it's in gear it's in gear.

The spring in the front cover only acts to return the shifter to center. I suppose if the second gear cog is somehow tweaked out of position then second wouldnt engage fully.
I have my doubts the problem is there but it has to come off anyway to split the case.

You heard the racket.
I'd drain the oil, check it and the filter careful for gear bits.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.