Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
After shifting into first gear, went to take off, throttled and eased out on the clutch.

The bike did not respond as i let out on the clutch.
At this point the motorcycle typically is already accelerating and it was not.
Within a second it took off as if something suddenly released and rose into a wheelie.

Please let me know! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1991 GL1500 Interstate Cinnamon Beige
506 Posts
First place I'd look is the clutch fluid (DOT4). See that the reservoir is full, AND see if the fluid is clear. If its brownish, change it out, bleed the clutch and MAKE SURE to check the return line (under the shiny silver tab) to make sure its clear of crusty gunk.

oops, , just noticed you have the 1800, , not sure if its the same as the 1500. The experts should be by soon though, , , ,

·
Administrator
26,576 Posts
After shifting into first gear, went to take off, throttled and eased out on the clutch.

The bike did not respond as i let out on the clutch.
At this point the motorcycle typically is already accelerating and it was not.
Within a second it took off as if something suddenly released and rose into a wheelie.

Please let me know! Thanks!
Please clarify, was it the engine suddenly accelerating or the clutch suddenly grabbing?
And you don't have to shout.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,203 Posts
All CAPS is yelling, do NOT post in ALL CAPS.

I edited your post and got rid of the 'all caps'

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
First; welcome to the forum.
Second; was there any noise associated with the event, and, is the bike still doing it, or was it a one-time thing?

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Years ago I test drove a GL1200 that did just that. It was like even though you let the clutch out it would take an extra second or two before the bike would go. I didn't buy the bike but I would look for a restriction in the line to the clutch slave cylinder or most likely the return hole in the master is partly plugged. Something is restricting the fluid from returning quickly to the master when the clutch lever is released.
EDIT: Might also be the piston and seals in the master are not retuerning all the way "home." That can restrict the return of the fluid to the master by blocking part of the return hole.

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
It sounds like you have the infamous cold start stumble. I have seen where some were able to eliminate it by getting the ECM flashed by an outfit called Guhl. Lewis Preston at Electrical Connection offers a cheaper alternative that is plug and play: engine control – Electrical Connection

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can agree with cold engine stumble but I thought that started with the 2012’s. Could be my misunderstanding. I would do an ECM reset before paying for the flash on the ECM. I would change the clutch fluid also. If the clutch is dark, maybe you should flush the brakes soon after this issue is resolved.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
I would be thinking more along the lines of throttle position sensor.
gumbyred

1 - 9 of 9 Posts