Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anyone got Nextels "Direct Connect" or Sprint's "Ready Link"?We could use it and cll itWe Could call it "Steve Saunders GoldwingInstant Phone Network"! I have had this for 2 years, and after I lost my old cell, they sent me a hybrid, with either one on it.I believe Nextel should be the choice, but we could let the majority rule, or have simply 2 groups.Eitheris fine with me.

What you think?

Nightrider1

P.S.

It also would be great on the road, where CB''s jujt dont go the distance, this is ALSO Nationwide,at thepush of a button, for only $5.00 Per month, Unless you got Sprint'sSimply Everything Paln, for $99.00 per month.. I just got Sprint's everything 450plan.A fantastic idea.

·
Administrator
57,516 Posts
imported post

We used to use the PTT feature here at my work place. I absolutely cringe everytime that friggin triple beep goes off.

We got rid of them. They are intrusive on personal privacy as all you hear all day long is that beep-beep-beep. I wouldn't turn mine on.

If they want me, they can call me personally. The company switched over to straight Verizon about 4 years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
imported post

Yeah, we had them at work. It was good for work, cutting back on the cell bill for communications. But since we all carried our phones home, it was almost like being on call.

I grew to hate it. I havent have PTT for 6 years now, but every time I hear one...

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

My wife and I have had personal PTT radios for about12 years, she and I both carried one for the past 5 years for our employeers.....We had our house phone disconnected now for 4 years, don't miss it either....We give out our PTT number to only people we know, and our PTT number is the same...Family, a few friends and our Dr.s offices......If mine goes off in the middle of the night it best be Fire, Flood, Or Blood....If not you best wish that there was.....:cheeky1:....

Claude

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Guys,
I have never used it, mainly I have never known anyone who has had it.I just thought it might be a good Idea for the forum, especially for people like me who cannot get nothing in the rural area's except dial up, and then you have to pay for the Skype, and when you send and recieve on dialup, it is so intermittent, much is missed?? I appreciate the replies.
Sincerely,
Nightrider1

·
Administrator
57,516 Posts
imported post

David, I am not using Skype's pay service. I only use the free service but that requires each user to be online.

I have found Skype to be intrusive a lot of times. I'm busy with something else and the Skype window pops up at the "wrong time". So I have it marked "offline" most of the time.

I am fortunate to have wide-band cable internet service. I can well remember when dial-up 13.6 khz was the best you could hope for on a "good day."

QWEST just sent me a flyer in the mail. They are offering optical wide band now, guaranteed to be 13 mb faster than Cox cable. Hmmmm, that would give me 18 mb service :waving:.

I won't be buying into that offer. Qwest is never able to provide what they advertise. At least not in my neighborhood :shock:

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I called our cable company, and they said they could run it if I picked up the rental modem, but their "free" 90 day service would have cost $120.00 plus some odd cents after I read all about it. Cannot afford to go that route, Especially when I only use my computer for email and the forum. I cannot afford another bill as of yet. I wish I did not have to have this cell, but I have to have it if I am out and have a "problem" . My doctors office, Son, and some friend's usually are the only people that call me on it, but for me, it's been a unreplacable tool.
Thanks,
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I agree with John. I carried a Nextel for close to 5 years while I was a supervisor for a satellite installation company. EVERYONE had my contact...and my phone would start chirping at 6am and normally didn't stop until around 11pm or so.

Then I'd have the occasional tech who would chirp me at 2am as he was leaving the bar to ask me what I was doing...

Then I moved to an area that didn't have Nextel service at all. BLISS!

Down here in Tulsa Nextel is pretty popular, and I find that I glitch every time I hear that [email protected] chirp again. :)

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

This morning when I posted about my wife and I having nextels and not giving out our nextel 2 way number or the phone number, I didn't mean to sound abrupt, but I was in a hurry to get to work...Ok the main reason I don't give my 2 way number out is I don't have "nationwide" calling, and if I beep you in where ever, I'm charged 10 cents a min I talk.....Nightwizard and I have talked on the 2 way a couple of times, and you would have thought the world had come to an end the way the Boss jumped me about the charges....:cheeky1:...I have been thinking about getting "nationwide calling" but then I would have to sign a new contract and pay extra for what few people I know with nextels....

When my wife and I worked for her former employer it wasn't too bad, unless we had a job going that needed after hours supplies....Working in the retirement communities as a supervisor, I let everyone know up front that if I got a call after midnight it best be Flood, Blood or Fire....But I added if it was a true emergency call me..I was called at all hours of the night by employee that didn't get relieved, or were sick needing to get off early , to one that called me at 3 am, to inform me that the "hants' ( ghosts) wouldn't let her in the office????22 miles later I find an officer setting outside the office with her bible in hand and wanting to go home because myother night officer had told her if she seen some one walk out of a wall or walk thru a cold spot, it was that old people that lived there had died and had unfinished business to finish.....Regular night officer had to work a lot of over time to cover for other night officer who quit....I told him no more ghost stories and if he did the only ghost running around there would be him !!!!!!!

And yes I jump too everytime we are eating, or what ever and a nextel goes off....

Claude.....

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Hey!! not my fault you got the cheap plan!!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1: Mine is a company phone with the nationwide and all the junk that they got.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Yeah but every dime I had to pay was worth it...Especially during, and after hurricane Ike, it let me keep everyone up to date on how we had faired and that we were Ok...Going to get a nationwide up grade as soon as our old contract is up....

Claude......

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
imported post

I have Nextel DC but only for another two weeks. I liked DC but only gave out the number to who needed it and nobody abused it. BUT Nextel coverage works great around the interstates and stinks in rural areas. I had almost no bars in Calhoun, no bars in Eureka Springs, Boscobel Wisconsin, or Missouri where my folks are. Every bike trip I went on in '08, the phone did me little or no good. It sucks finding out on your way home from a trip that your son had an accident and you couldn't be reached....

I've switched to AT&T and it's a little better....so far.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Redbaron,

Be careful if upgrading with Sprint. My upgrade was an upgrade with Hell attached, and I told Sprint that. (At least it seemed that way). The lady told me my first bill would only be $79.95, with no hidden fees, and it turned out to be $291.99, and that was including my "Free $150.00 Upgrade Credit". Thay also promised me a $50.00 upgradee credit for being a good paying customer (Never Being late paying, etc...) But I never seen any credits whatsoever.

I called them over 15 times, complaining, and I finally told themI was going to switch to "Nextel", and thay finally put me in touch with a Supervisor, who argued with me for about 1/2 hour. I finally got my Promised $200.00 credit. If I were you, and when/if you call to upgrade, and it says "Your call may be recoded" Record them, because if only one party knows the conversation is being recorded, I believe it is legal. I would check the local law though. You will not have any backup if you don't, and will go through the sme thing I did. The first rule of thumb is "Protect your butt". Sprint's sales people will promise you the moon to gett you to upgrade. If I had never lost my old phone, I never would have done it, but i was right on the day my conract expired, and I should have went with Verision. If I did not need cell this for my spinal condition, I would have had it cutoff.

Good Luck,

David Aka Nightrider1

redbaron wrote:
This morning when I posted about my wife and I having nextels and not giving out our nextel 2 way number or the phone number, I didn't mean to sound abrupt, but I was in a hurry to get to work...Ok the main reason I don't give my 2 way number out is I don't have "nationwide" calling, and if I beep you in where ever, I'm charged 10 cents a min I talk.....Nightwizard and I have talked on the 2 way a couple of times, and you would have thought the world had come to an end the way the Boss jumped me about the charges....:cheeky1:...I have been thinking about getting "nationwide calling" but then I would have to sign a new contract and pay extra for what few people I know with nextels....

When my wife and I worked for her former employer it wasn't too bad, unless we had a job going that needed after hours supplies....Working in the retirement communities as a supervisor, I let everyone know up front that if I got a call after midnight it best be Flood, Blood or Fire....But I added if it was a true emergency call me..I was called at all hours of the night by employee that didn't get relieved, or were sick needing to get off early , to one that called me at 3 am, to inform me that the "hants' ( ghosts) wouldn't let her in the office????22 miles later I find an officer setting outside the office with her bible in hand and wanting to go home because myother night officer had told her if she seen some one walk out of a wall or walk thru a cold spot, it was that old people that lived there had died and had unfinished business to finish.....Regular night officer had to work a lot of over time to cover for other night officer who quit....I told him no more ghost stories and if he did the only ghost running around there would be him !!!!!!!

And yes I jump too everytime we are eating, or what ever and a nextel goes off....

Claude.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.