Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

That is, has anyone kept one functioning for more than a few thousand miles?

I have now lost my second RM Stator in several thousand miles - shorted to ground. Stator hardwired 14ga wire to regulator, engine oil is still gold. Never went past 6 bars on a hot day; fan works, new thermo, new water pump, no smoke, not running too hot, carbs were sync'ed, perfect idle, fast starting, all electrical die-electric greased.

Man, this sux. It wouldn't be so bad if it was a clunker, but this bike is a beauty.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

I hope I have better luck than you did. Its not my bike but I just installed one with no labor guarantee. I told him if it goes out a poorboy will go in. The RM stator looked a little rough to me. I wasnt happy with their shipping service . When I called we had a discussionand they told me to shove it and hung up on me. Anyway I left the washer out and hoping for the best. Just curious how many miles did you get out of it.JB http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/74467.html

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Actually, I know it is less than 1200 miles;it was last spring/fall's project, done in the garage last august. Never rode a trip, just 20-30 mile loops, a cross-state jaunt and back as I recall.

All of this ends up just over a year, twice, and out of their short warranty.

A little research shows that there are environmental and electrical factors involved that a simple rewind cannot address.

Good luck on your washer/plate; it appears without the plate oil will wash forward and spin out the rotor, maybe providing fresh oil across the coils, which may be better than letting them bake. I am thinking to increase the size of the oil spray hole (or adding another) at the risk of lower oil pressure. I have other ideas, but man dragging that motor out again is a b.

Keep me up to date if you will.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

I'll be doing the poorboy thing next weekend. I'm not even considering pulling the motor for a stator anymore. My new 1200 aspy I bought with a bad stator knowing I would not pull it:Dbut the alternator and ease of replacement is what sold me on it.

Ride Safe, Ray:waving:

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
imported post

Give me some info on the Poorboy Alternator conversion? I'm sure the issue will happen on my 1200A, soon enough.... I've read some of the threads on pro/con, I'm NOT pulling my engine for an electrical part...

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

There is loads of info on this site if you search poorboy or external alternator. I've done 2 conversions on different bikes.I wouldn't dream of changing for another original type stator........Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.