Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

As some of you may have read already by brother went down on I-55 in Litchfield IL. returning with me from Eureka Springs.

His bike is pretty messed up but maybe not a total loss. It starts and runs fine and is a shame as he recently did a fair amount of maintenance to it.

It's in tow yard-people seem nice. I have a cargo van and believe bike will fit inside-it aint a wing!

Anyway I am considering driving down but not sure how much help the owner will be helping me load it. Litchfield is about 230 miles from where I live so it's gonna be tough to find anyone to help.

Just wondering if someone in the area has any free time possibly this week to help load itas they are charging $20 a day to keep it there plus the tow.

Not sure how soon he'll want to ride again but I believe he'd like to have it.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Wadcutter wrote:
What day? If I'm not in the field I might be free to give you a hand.
You also might try Niehaus Honda in Litchfield. Really good people. http://www.niehauscycle.com/
Thanks Wadcutter, tomorrow's tough for me work-wise, may try for thursday. His bike was in good shape but not worth much blue book-wise. At this point I'm not sure how he feels about it. He's been gettinga littlemore sore each day since the crash and is probably too tired to deal with it. He had talked about letting the salvage yard keep it and just make a deal for a few hundred as is.I was planning on grabbing it before the impound gets too high and tucking it in my garage until he feels better and would then be able to decide what he wants to do. I'll have a talk with him tomorrow and feel things out. If it looks like he wants to keep it, then I'll post again or PM you to see if you are avail. Thanks for the offer-it's been a crappy 48 Hrs.

I'm thankful he's gonna be o.k. but worried about the future of us riding together. We've had some real good times but I wouldnt want him riding again unless he really wants to and feels comfortable with it.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

Not to be a pain, but how did he go down.. Hope he is going to be ok.. Prayers

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

Thursday would work for me. If you can make it on Thursday then let me know, what time, and where.
Hope your brother gets up and going before long.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

notodd wrote:
Not to be a pain, but how did he go down.. Hope he is going to be ok.. Prayers
Not being a pain at at notodd. We rolled into an area of construction while in the right hand lane. There was a sign that said divided lanes (meaning different height) I never saw it - he did. I had cruise set and was in front. Slow rolled around the truck into left lane. At the very point we came alongside the truckthe lane height difference must have started because there was no drop switching from right to left (right side then became higher). We came around the truck and rolling back into the right lane I felt the jolt as my bike hit the higher lane pavement (about 3"!). I didn't see the change maybe because of the angle of the sun who knows but must have noticed at the last moment and grabbed the bars tight because I was o.k.

I spun in my seat to wave him off but it didn't help. He was down and rolling at or near 70MPH. I believe he may have been "head checking" on the truck we were passing as he hit the side of the lane pavement and instantly went down. What I saw of it was horrible. How he came out of it as well as he did I can't explain. His helmet saved his life for sure (check out pic in my gallery)and his jacket and fleece he was wearing saved him from road rash. God must have done the rest. Some more bruising is showing up each day which makes sense but we stayed at the Hampton Inn instead of Intensive care that night so all things considered things couldn't have worked out better.

I kept waiting for the bad news to come-but it never did. He has a fractured but not displaced collar bone, finger tipshad superficial cutsbecause of half gloves, only a few bruises small and some abrasions from his clothes so no asphalt to clean out.
(However new bruises are showing up).
He thankfully doesn't remember anything other than passing the truck and then waking up to people standing over him.

I pulled over and started running to the spot he laid which was behind a car that had pulled between us to help. I wasn't even sure if the truck had been able to avoid running over him. There were people all around him. After a short time I realized he was intact and appeared ok. I also realized that the woman holding his head and telling him to lay still was a doctor. She was traveling behind us with her husband who stayed in the car to call for help. Another car had two or three nurses. They were out helping (wearing stethoscopes!), The 3rd car was an off duty EMT-his car had emergency lights and he had parked to block traffic from the right lane. They all stayed with him until the ambulance arrived and took him. I am forever grateful to these people though I don't even know their names.

The accident was terrible but everything else went right after that. I hope he can recover fully and not suffer any complications from this mental or otherwise.

Riding home was tough for me on Sunday after his wife picked up. The accident kept playing in my mind and was made worse by the labor day traffic. At one point an SUV with Wisconsin plates cut me off passing me on the right trying to beat a truck merging from the onramp. As if that wasn't bad enough when I beeped thinking he just didn't see me he gave me the finger. I forced myself to get off at the next exit and calm down-wanted to kill him. Some people just suck.

Anyway thanks for any thoughts and prayers. It helps to "talk" about it. Most people that don't ride listen and only minimally hide the fact that they don't approve of motorcycling or worse use it as an I told you so opportunity.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
imported post

I could help on Sat. Sry not during week. I'm about 90 miles away but it's a good ride. Let me know if theres anything I can do. Hope your brother jumps back on that horse.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

I am a long ways from you...but I can offer you a suggestion. Call Uhaul where you live and see if they have a motorcycle trailer for rent. $15 a day here in Seattle. They are low boys and have a wheel chock in the front. I rolled my Wing on it and off of it myself. Plenty of tie downs.

Just a thought. I hope your brother gets well soon.

It is thoughtful of you to get his bike back and hold it for him til he makes a decision on it.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

Im in the same boat, I can help on Sat but not during the week. If you do it on sat let me know, you have my number.

Lou

Glad to hear he is going to be ok.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks Larry for the suggestion. The transportation itself isn't a problem more the loading though I could likely work something myself but help would be better. I will check with the tow company to see if they will assisst, just trying to get a backup plan tohether. The Hand brake was damaged so driving it up a ramp might be dicey. I have a full size cargo van and believe bike will fit inside-like I said it's not a wing:)

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
imported post

Hope he heals quickly.
That must be the most Dr.'s and nurses at an accident site ever. Can't get much luckier than that after an accident.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

steve1163 wrote:
I can help Thursday after 4 p.m. I work in Springfield and get off at 3:30 or Saturday.
Thanks Steve I will talk to them tonight. Tomorrow is a possibilty-just trying to get some things worked out. I'd have to leave here around noon to be in Litchfield by 4 pm or so. I may PM you tonight and see if you or anyone else is avail. Thanks Again. Spoke to him today-his spirits are good and he still plans on riding-just not anytime soon! Thanks again guys.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Hey Guys-bike is back home. Thanks for everyone who offered to help out-Steve1163, Wadcutter, Big Lou,erwjww. Also thanks for everyone who had Russ in their thoughts. After I got there (the impound lot) and was talking to the owner about the accident he grabbed two employees and the four of us just popped it in the van no problem. Like I said-It ain't a wing.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
imported post

Glad you got her home. Now get the bike and your brother repaired and reunited.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.