Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had what I call a real Biker friend,he was 65 years old and would jump on his 883 sportster and ride anywhere you wanted to ride, how ever many miles and for how ever long you wanted to stay.

And would never complain,about his behind hurting,or when we gonna get there.

Butwe had a misunderstanding on our last road tripin Florida and I'm not even sure he is still riding anymore. He took up wild hog hunting and hardly anyone has seen him in the last 2 years.

I'm not trying to call someone a biker or not,but I would like to jump on the bike and take off toFlorida or wherever and the only bikers around here that I know,riding all day to them is riding from one bar to the next and so on, all day.

Or ones that complain if you don't stop every 80 or 100 miles.

I would love for my brother-n-law and his wife to ride to Florida with us next year,but they would never consider that,and We would never get there stopping ever 80 miles.

I tried to explain to them that interstae miles is not the same as curvey roads and stops,which will work on you hind end faster,but it's like there's no way I could go that far.

I don't know,but it seems that no ones heart is into it,or they don't loveto ridelike my Wife and I.

Well I feel better now,thanks for the ear........

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

It's like some people go on a small road trip and they can not wait to get there or fuss the whole trip or it's like you forced them to go,instead of justenjoying the ride.:?:?

Maybe it's just me...........:(:(

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

It's not just you.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

I'd ride with you. I want to ride. I love the ride for the ride. I could care less where I'm going and most of my "short" rides don't even have a destination. I just decide if I should go straight or turn. The main problem is that I'm not retired yet. I simply have to make a living. :(
As far as stopping this old man has to pee so I stop when I have to. :D

I'd really like to find a ride buddy up here. I ride alone most of the time. The local wingers get together in such big groups and have such organized rides and stick to their plan come hell or high water. Me, I'll change course in a heartbeat with nothing more than a nudge. Starting next summer I'm taking some longer trips alone or not alone. My wife can come or stay home. I want to head out west a ways through Montana and Idaho. I'm heading down to SD through Spearfish and Rapid City and every nice place in between. That's for starters.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I have riden to and in all 48 (and rented bikes in the other two).... but I do stop every 70-100 miles for a quick stretch (or pee-not a20 minute smoke break)) and that is why I can ride all day long

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
imported post

like RCMatt007 I have to stretch every 70-80 miles (that big nerve in the back of my leg kills me sometimes)but by stretching for a min or two, I too can ride all day and half the night. I hope that you guys get to ride like I have had the pleasure to do. Last month the artic circle and back (Virginia), this month Montrose and back (I hope) in between, there has been runs to NC. W.Va. Pa. R.I. and all along the coast. Short runs, under 200 miles, are generally, ride for 4 hours and then turn the GPS on to see where I'm at. I love to get someplace, not knowing how I got there and then find a different way home with the gps. My only gripe is running out of money and have to skip lunch. LOL Eat you heart out guys retirment ain't too bad.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
imported post

At 62 with a bad back and knees also arthritis in my hands. I outride many of my of my younger friends. The feel of riding and being in the wind (no windshield) eases what pain I have. I am focused on my surroundings and total attention to the road ahead. With that much focus there's no time for little things like back pain. I don't want to stop riding until I get where I want to go. Enjoying the scenery of the countryside on my way there. Feeling of being one with the bike whatever name is written on the tank. It's my way ofputting other problems to the side and doing what I want to do. I'll check in later I need to go take a ride.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

well not afraid of 18-20 hr. rides but not as fun as say 6-8 hr. rides, and probably will say something about my sore ass while having cocktails after:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::action::waving: nope guess i don't know any REAL bikers:D

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
imported post

See id ask why take the ride if your not going to stop and enjoy the trip . I guess my neighbor who is also in his 60's is what you would call a real biker . Hes the same way on a snow machine trip too .

Im the opposite , its not how far i can go in a day , its how much i enjoyed the trip .

Your old buddy on the sporster didnt go much over a 100 miles or he ran out of fuel any way .

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Ever read "Zen and The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance?" I've read it six, seven, eight times, and sometimes I almost understand it!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

But one thing Robert Pirsig said in that book has always stayed with me: It's virtually impossible to describe the word and the concept, "quality," but everybody recognizes it when they see it...... It's the same with concept of "real biker." I can't tell you what makes up a real biker, but I recognize them when I see them. I knew an old clarinet player, now dead, who was a real biker even though he probably never went more than 125 miles in a ride in his life..... I've also known guys who do 300 or 400 miles a day who aren't..... can't explain it...... I do know that guys who trailer their bikes to rallies -- not to save time or to ease a medical condition -- but just so they can be more comfortable while "gettin'" there are not real bikers...... not really.

I think being a "real biker" has something to do with a man's heart, or his appreciation of life, or something like that.People who own bikes to sit on, to show off on, to stoke their egos aren't, and never will be, real bikers. I can't explain what being a real biker is, but I always recognize one when I meet him!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

ooooooohhhhhhh cj that's nice now how the hell i gonna get out of this lotus position:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
imported post

Its really just your concept of what makes a real biker .

Ill say i am not a real biker , its just a hobby as are my other hobbies . While i enjoy it there are many things id put ahead of it if i was forced into that position .

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

Yup! Dale Davies

He'd hop on his HD & just go. Lost track of him through the years.

Hint who he was/is: "Spirit of America"

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

I met one at Lowes last week. He came out of the store with something and strapped it to his 1800. I chatted with him for a while, turns out he's got over half a million miles on various Goldwings over the years and doesn't drive a car unless he has to.

I told him about my 83 Interstate that was rescued out of a back yard, and he said "oh yeah, I like that one. Mine has 300,000 miles on it.":shock:

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

My Dad was a real biker. He loved being on a bike; any bike. The ride was everything. I try to share his perspective everytime I ride. Ride till I want to stop; then back on again. See everything I can while staying safe, sensing every sight, smell, the wind, heat, cold and even the rain. It is all a part of the ride--the experience. A ten minute trip to the store is cherished as much as a trip to the mountains. Some day I want to be a real biker just like him!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Well don't take me wrong, I'm not saying just because one can get on the bike and go 5 or 600 miles without stopping or needing to stop and pee or strecth,it's just that it seems like the ones I ride with it is a chore or they can not wait to get there...

And I'm not calling myself a real biker,but I live for the next ride and I enjoy everyone I take,and I ride everyday that I can whether it is calling for rain or calling for snow. I am hooked like sandigobrass says,hooked bad. ( 29 years addition )

Like CJ says I'm not sure what a real biker is either, but My friend I spoke of is one in my book,I mean if he at 67 years old decides to head to Texas he would think twice about it,it would'nt matter how many miles it is or if it is calling for rain half way there,or the fact that he is 67 years old,nothing gets in his way.

I don't know it sounds like I need to get on the bike and just go..:D.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

i think cyote61 might be a biker, i know he's old as hell:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:jk he's a ridin sog:action::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
imported post

plainmech wrote:
i think cyote61 might be a biker, i know he's old as hell:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:jk he's a ridin sog:action::cheeky1:
Hey now , if we base this on age im getting close to being a real biker .

1 - 20 of 160 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.