·
Banned
12,287 Posts

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Boy! You just can't trust those MOCO guys to get it right:dude:Not sure how you canmis-identify a Fatboy with a "White Goldwing":shock:

Too bad anyway. :(

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Certainit was a white Goldwing?

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,640 Posts
imported post

Condolences to his family, he was riding in the wind. He will be missed.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
Certainit was a white Goldwing?
That's what the first report quoted on the HD ForumID'd it. News report indicates it was an HD.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

"Lost control of his Harley-Davidson motorcycle" seems to be a phrase used often in news reports lately..... I wonder if anyone has distilled down accident reports by brand or model? Such data might be interesting, I think -- and perhaps valuable....

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
"Lost control of his Harley-Davidson motorcycle" seems to be a phrase used often in news reports lately..... I wonder if anyone has distilled down accident reports by brand or model? Such data might be interesting, I think -- and perhaps valuable....
Are you talking about the traffic accident report itself? or has a group taken the info on reported wrecks and broke it down?

I know Alabama's accident report breaks down into make, model, year and VIN.

It would be interesting reading on the findings though.

Prayers go out to the family!!!

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Wow. I'm from Waukesha, but don't recognize the name, thankfully. Prayers to the family.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

I think HD is mentioned more often because it is simply most popular these days. I don't think it is a reflection on riding skill. But then again, I could be wrong.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I also think it would be difficult to make any accurate conclusion about HDs being in more accidents because they are so ubiquitous. I also think the number of accidents on Goldwings is lower because they really don't make up that much of the motorcycle population. Once you take the HDs and crotch rockets out consideration I suspect the remaining number of accidents would be much less.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
imported post

I did The Dragon last year for the first time and it was O.K., care less if I ever do it again. "Been there, done that, got the patch"!

(patch collector)

There was a couple on a Goldwing trike that got killed just a few days before I got there. Also, at one time a young guy got killed on his birthday there...crotch rocket probably.

·
Administrator
61,640 Posts
imported post

I doubt that I ever ride the Dragon. Too far from here to worry about it.

And, I have not even seen all of the roads out here in the western half of the states yet. :waving:

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
imported post

John,

I had rather be out west riding.

You guys have some of the most scenic places and I long to come back out that way. If I never make it back, I feel blessed to have made it once in life wheresome folk never got or will get the chance. I went to Cheyenne in '73 when the speed limit was 55...imagine driving 1400 miles at 55-60 mph lol! Cheyenne and the Estes Park/Rockies area is where I would like to carry my wife and kids and that's where I went.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

We just got back from our first trip on the Dragon / BRP and the Skyway tonight.

2 Harleys, a VTX 1800 and me and my wife on our GL1500 with wheel chair on the back of the bike.

The Dragon was OK but we all liked the Skyway and BRP better.

We had no problems with the Dragon and went the speed limit (just enjoyed the people and scenery).

I could see if you get stupid on the Dragon that you could get hurt quick but then that goes for almost any road.

We road the BRP in the rain up to Ashville and there are some long sweeping curves and some lots of tunnels too but again, no problems.

We even rode from Knoxville thru Gatlinburg (stupid on a Holiday) and down to Maggievalley in the rain....again, no problems.

Indiana has lots of good twisty roads so we have had lots of practice and have learned that its not about the speed its the ride.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if your careful and pay attention you can ride any road.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
imported post

The Cherohala Skyway from Robbinsville to Tellico Plains is my favorite. The Dragon is a nice ride if rode at the right speed. The ones, most on crotch rockets that think it'stime to open it up and take the curves fast are what make it bad.

I hope to do the BRP one day.

·
Administrator
61,640 Posts
imported post

Hoosierman wrote:
We just got back from our first trip on the Dragon / BRP and the Skyway tonight.

2 Harleys, a VTX 1800 and me and my wife on our GL1500 with wheel chair on the back of the bike.
I would like to see some pictures of how you secured the wheel chair on the rear of the bike.

I am thinking you used a receiver hitch and platform?

I visualize that you positioned the wheel chair fore/aft with the handlebars towards the bike? That to me would reduce the wind drag and allow the brake lights to still be visible?

·
Administrator
61,640 Posts
imported post

guess wrong on position :D

Looking forward to the rack pix

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.