Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:p:pMy 91 interstate will need exhaust soon and have been shopping for aftermarket stuff....comes in around 400 bucks....anyone cobbled together something else that worked?....seems that if you can find a short, flexible pipe to make the bend from the forward collector to the muffler, the rest is easy....or am I just "blowing smoke"? :p:p

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi slickster your avatar says gl 1100 and your quary is 91 that is a 1500 witch one

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

I think he is asking about a 1500 interstate ...if it is 1991 it is a 1500 ..

interstate .

but there again it could be a typing eror and he meant to put in 81 interstate ,,, From what he is saying I think it could be the 1100 ,,CIaran

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

There is a few wings runnin' around with Harley mufflers on them. everything from Sportster pipes to FLH touring pipes.

Somewhere around the foot peg area where the header joins the origional wing muffler, an adapter is made to join the wing header pipe to the harley muffler. My Harley had a pipe diameter of 1 1/2 inch. They sell cheap because alot of harley riders go for different pipes when they up grade their bikes!

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Sorry...I had an 81 1100 and now have a 91 1500....will hunt for the adapter...thanks....

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I've done the Harley route both Sporsters & Road King mufflers on my 77.

The most common adapter mentioned is normally made at a muffler shop. For the 1000 you need about a 2 " offset bent into the pipe and its about 10-12" when finished. The offset allows the exhaust to clear the bike, center stand, swing arm etc. I also put a crossover pipe into my system.

I can't comment on the 1500 as to pipe diameter etc., but the Harley muffler ends are 1 3/4" inside. I don't know the header diameter on your bike but on the 1000 its very close to 1 3/4". You have to do some adjusting to make them mate up tightly.

Some folks just get a short adapter from a auto supply store and that works for what they want. You'll have to take the mufflers off & do some measuring & head scratching to figure out what you want. For my money I like the Road Kings over the Sporster for the wings. They fit in much better with the look of the bike and are a little quieter.

If you send me a PM with your email I can send you some pictures of both systems on the 77. Your bike is different but you'll get the idea.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

thats what Slickster needs cycleman, Pic's would be awesome for him!

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

Look in for sale section - Viper 2 has a set off a 98 GL1500 which will bolt right on! Good riding!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.