Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm looking at the box right now, I thought long and hard about doing this with the sensor's mounted on the outside of the wheels until I get a tire change then going with them mounted internally.

If you can, please share your experiences with the installation, where you tapped the power, where you mounted the display and most of all, how you feel it is performing for you.

Thanks in advance! :bowing:

Daveo

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Ummmmmmmm,,,,,,,,,,, what is a Doran 360M TPMS ??????:baffled:

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hello Winger77, Thanks for your reply. TPMS is Tire Pressure Monitoring System

They come standard on the 2009 model so they are integrated on the dash.

Daveo

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

How does it work with the sensors on the outside? I got some grief for suggesting TPMS in the feedback forum but looky here, it's on the 09s.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Davogd430 -

They screw on in place of the valve caps. They are about the diameter of a quarter. The package includes elbow stems that have threads on the inside that protrude down into the tire body and allows you to mount them inside the tire. That would be the preferred way for long term use. I liked the fact that you can have it both ways so you don't have to pay to have your tires removed and remounted rightaway to enjoy the use of the system.

Daveo

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Goodness, if you are mounting them on the end of stem, at least dbbl turkey tie the stems to the stand-offs !! Please don't use white ties, black being the best. Cross them is best, but that's only my opinion. Push those stems straight towards rim, and you'll see what I mean. They move a ton, and do break off at the rim, so the sensor will just make that problem worse. I think I'd keep the speed down below 100, too. :D
They would probably work OK on straight stems.

Did that set come with valve stems, to allow internal mounting? If not, there'd be no way to mount them inside. Beware, they are broken very easily by a school age tire jockey when mounted inside.

Monitor? I mounted my Smartire right on top of the GPS screen, dead center. But, if i have the dash apart again, it's going to get moved a bit to the right. I don't know the physical size of the Doran, so I don't know if this a good spot for it, or not. Seems like the Doran monitor is quite tall, compared to Smartire. I saw a pic somewhere where the dude mounted the monitor on left side of handlebar, but that'd be undesirable. It should be in field of vision. I'd post you a pic, but this old puter I'm stuck with right now, doesn't have a card slot.

Power. I took mine off the acc. power on the left side.

The TPMS on the 09 don't hold a candle to the Smartire, Kissan, or Doran. It's a very rudimentary system like autos, and doesn't tell you much of anything. But, that's a whole lot better than nothing. Many don't want to know anything, anyway.

Good luck with that, and I hope you post picts. of install, and tell us what you like and dislike about it.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks Bob! Yes, the package comes with metal elbow stems with threaded extensions that way you can screw them on so that they protrude down inside the tire.

Well it looks like it's up to me. I have a lot of accessories to put on that I've been waiting for cooler weather to do, so now's the time.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hey lookey who shined up his gremlin bell! I guess I need one of those too!

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

I installed mine 2 weeks ago.
For now xmitter's external on 90 degree metal stems, plan on using new Doran stems and going internal next tire change.
I was worried about tire balance but have not noticed any vibration.
Monitor mounted on supplied square plate to right handlebar. Due to angle, monitor hard to see when riding. I ran the remote alarm led up and dangled it in beside the temp gauge. Ran power direct to the battery so system is hot all the time.
So far seems to work great.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for your insight aquafire!

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Here's a cpl shots of mine. The flash really made it look dirty, but, it's just a very light dust job, after a 200 mile ride. But, the display may get moved to the right about 2". Maybe. Blocking the lights isn't bothering me that much, lately. They're not mission critical idiot lites

Attachments

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Your smartire is more compact. The Doran is a bit more cubed shaped and is designed with a quick disconnect to the handlebar. Or can be mounted out-of-sight with a remote red LED light indicator.

Thanks for your pictures!

Daveo

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

It's also dirtier!!! :cheeky1: :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
imported post

Daveo,

You've had the Doran system for a few months now...any new impressions to share about it? I'm considering one for the trike but frankly, I wonder if I truly need it. It won't save me from a sudden blowout and I T-ClOCK before mounting up, so I should see anything amiss with the tires...and it's bleedin' expensive, isn't it! Oy.

PS. I drive a company car and have gotten into the good habit of a 'walkaround' at fuel stops, looking for tire damage, etc. Couldn't hurt, and I did find a wicked screw in the right front tire last winter. :shock:

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Somebody makes a kit for trikes, but I don't remember who. You might check Wingstuff.com

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.