Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The fiche calls for two oval head screws and six flathead screws holding the side wings on.It doesn't really tell where each screw goes either, so I am lost.

I don't remember ever replacing any of those screws and mine has four and four. :stumped:

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

dennis, i think my 84 is still stock,i will go out in the morning and look then get back to you. walkabout

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Bike, please tell Dennis to list the year of your birth as different years used different screws. Really only important if you you want to look like you did in your birthday suit.:ROFL:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

When you say side wings Dennis, do you mean air deflectors? I don't think they came as stock fittings.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

englishted wrote:
When you say side wings Dennis, do you mean air deflectors? I don't think they came as stock fittings.
Not air wings...these are on the windshield.

·
Registered
54 Posts
imported post

would like to help you out dennis, but on my 85 i have 8 panhead screws holding mine on, and they look like they are original

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

dennis, checked both bikes,the 84 has a largewindshield that wraps around past the side mirrors. i think this is stock. it has 4 phillip head screws across the front holding it on to the bike, thats it. the 87 has a small after market windshield. it is also held on with 4 phillip head screws. they areboth fastened the same way. hope this helps. walkabout :)

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

This is definitely theOEM windshield. I've had the bike since new. The side wings are the originals, but I did replace the original shield (with OEM) at around 145,000 miles.

I'm just trying to find out if anyone has the original screws in their original side wing attachments. So I can decide what I need to replace one that's missing in mine.

This is a pic of the attachment and factory screws.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

Good gracious, what is that wing made of? That looks a little bit ...

... "yucky" comes to mind.:?

About screws, take the one bracket and a screw and go to the hardware where you get stainless steel metric (it'll be metric) screws to fit, get all 8 and use them.Philips oval heads are smoother thn flathead at the edges, but have a rounded top, but also have deeper teeth for the philips screwdriver. Also look at socket headedflat head screws. You can polish the stainless to look like chrome before install. A dab of never seize won't hurt.

:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

J, does yours have any oval head screws in it at all?
Do you think that bracket might have once been black?
That's definitely OEM stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

On mine, the outer cast bracket with cast in sleeves that actually go through the plexi is Chromed but the inner half of the bracket where you see the screw heads is black or dark "blued" like.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

No oval heads, they all look like that. My guess is they were black on the back side at one time, chrome on the front still. One is still black but all the others are gun metal gray.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.