Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking bout getting my own tire changer, like the harborfreight if I can still get the adapter to clamp motorcycle wheels, seen couple demonstrations on utube and it looks easy enough and nomar.com makes a nice changer but its expensive, just using it to change tires on the 1500 with elite3's. anyone else change their own tires? any tips?

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
Tire changer

i use an HF mc tire changer,but i beleive they no longer sell them

·
Registered
224 Posts
I got a car tire bead breaker from JC Whitney over 30 yrs ago and it works great. I just used it last month to change the front tire on my 1200. I also, went an got 3 large tire irons to help taking off the tire from the rim. If you know what you are doing it works great.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
i have the no-mar tire changer setup. pricey, but really easy to use. have made alot of friends since getting it....:bow::waving:

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Harbor Frieght number 69686, on sale for $42.00...Is this what your are looking for???

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
i use an HF mc tire changer,but i beleive they no longer sell them
Ditto that, HF sells the Changer, but not the Motorcycle Adaptor. You can still often find them on Craigslist.

I use one to change my tires... It works for normal motorcycle tires, but not for car tires. I use 3ft long tire irons from HF.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Redbaron will that tire changer work for Goldwing tires? Couldnt find anything on HF site about motorcycle tires.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have the cycle hill changer from No Mar. It works great and is well worth the price. I have it set up to fit in the hitch on the back of my truck. Have used it on the E 3's with no problems.

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
I had a changer similar to the HF offering. To me it was harder to change tires on it versus tire spoons on the ground. I learned you get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah looks like u can still get the harbor freight changer with the adapter on ebay for 200 bucks, the adapter alone is over a hundred, I like the cycle hill nomar changer better but its more than I want to spend right now. looks like the harbor freight changer could be improved greatly by adding some anti-scuff plastic similar to the nomar changer.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I invested in the NoMar. I can do all my tires on it: motorcycle, cars and pick-up truck.

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
If someone has or buys a HF unit I have a set of "Mojo-Blocks" for sale.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
I use a 14" car rim bolted to 4" x 12"s, a few cargo straps to hold the wheel to the rim and a 4"x 4" x 8' with a piece of 2" x 4" nailed to it about 18" from the end to break the bead. Put the end closest to the 2" x 4" under the car and push down on the other end. I bought 12" tire irons from my local independant motorcycle guy. You can use Slime, Dyna Beads or other stuff to balance it. I don't like snake oil so I bought the HF balancer.

;)

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
HF changer and 2 or 3 good spoons is all you need, maybe plastic rim protectors but you can make those!

Break the bead with the HF changer, use spoons to remove and mount tires!

Well, OK, you might also want a tool to remove the valve core and an air compressor to air up the tire LOL

No real need for the cycle wheel adapter, just need the base unit to break the beads.
I'm not as good yet as the guy at the cycle shop, but he can use 2 spoons and have the tire off and a new one on fast as anyone could using that expensive extra adapter.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
I went at it and just made my own stand just because I can....You can see me use it on youtube...Just key in Mrlittlebeaver, actually I use the HF one as well ...

Well after watching your video, I just realized a purpose for some spare plywood and 2x4's I have in the garage.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I went at it and just made my own stand just because I can....You can see me use it on youtube...Just key in Mrlittlebeaver, actually I use the HF one as well ...
I use a 14" car rim bolted to 4" x 12"s,
Like your setup...I use a 13" steel wheel with bits of hose to protect the M/C wheel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.